CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out for what was supposed to be a couple hour hunt yesterday... that turned out to be 6 hours!
Not finding too many high tones in my favorite corner of my new honey hole, so I've been digging the low tones and going for gold. I know it's there!
Started the afternoon with a buffalo, followed shortly by a wheat. Nothing else but can slaw and bottle caps for the next hour or so. Watched a couple pull up at the hundred year old church across the street... he hollers from across the way, "You finding anything?" I reply with, "Just a few old nickels and pennies."
He nods and follows his wife into the church. I figure they're getting communion set up or turning on the A/C for Sunday morning. While they are inside, I get a solid 18 at 4 inches on the Minelab Equinox. Pop the plug... war nickel! Yes... some silver. Five minutes later, they come back out and I drop everything to ease across the road and show them my finds and tell them about the hobby. Five minutes later, I am detecting in front of the church with the lady's blessing and her name if anyone stops and questions me. Not much but clad there... and a 1943 merc! Yes! Silver number 2.
After working the church yard and not finding anything else old, I went back to nickel scrubbing for an hour with no luck... and then hit a row I must have previously only cherry-picked. Got a signal that sounded wheatie tone one way, half dollar tone at 90 degrees. Popped the plug for an on-edge 1938 merc. Yes! More silver. Two steps later, I get a deep low tone that could be a war nickel... around a 17 on the nox. Cut a plug... there is a TINY silver coin! Looks foreign...

20190309_181046.jpg

I see a king... it's gotta be a fish scale! What the heck is a Canadian 5 cent silver doing in Texas? I've seen them dug on YouTube, but never imagined I'd dig one around here. Well, I had to keep going... because I've had several 4 silver coin days before... but never 5.
Five minutes later, another 18 signal buys me another war nickel and I head to the car with a new personal best!
Here's the good stuff...

20190310_112410.jpg

Front and back of the silvers and buff...

20190310_112706.jpg 20190310_112316.jpg

A closeup of the Canadian fish scale...

20190310_112054.jpg 20190310_112804.jpg

And... does this count as a nickel trifecta?!?

20190310_112120.jpg

Found this tiny filled ring in a short hunt there Friday...

20190309_072802.jpg

And got a few more keepers, including a sterling handle and a war nickel, this afternoon (Sunday) in a 2 hour hunt!

20190310_180221.jpg

Thanks for looking! HH and GL!

Upvote 28
OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It never occurred to me till I talked with a buddy this morning who dug a Canadian 5 cent piece in a spill with an IHP... that a fish scale, with a diameter of 15.5 mm, would have traded easily here in the US, as half dimes are the same diameter. They may not have been strictly legal currency, but they would have spent, I suppose! So, I guess it's not a big mystery that one made it to my part of Texas somewhere around 1914, but I am happy to have it!

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And, by the way, I am proud to say all 3 of my detecting buddies have gotten a silver from there, as of this afternoon. My brother was first with a 1906 dime on his first trip, a friend from the next city over got a 1900 quarter on his first time there... and my regular detecting buddy finally got a 1935 Washington after 6 or 7 trips!
I have pics of all my previous goodies from this spot from before I started posting here... if anyone is interested. I've only been here twice that I didn't get a silver coin. I don't know if I can post those here or do I start another thread in a different forum? Rules?

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great spot to re-grid over and over........congrats!!

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
And, by the way, I am proud to say all 3 of my detecting buddies have gotten a silver from there, as of this afternoon. My brother was first with a 1906 dime on his first trip, a friend from the next city over got a 1900 quarter on his first time there... and my regular detecting buddy finally got a 1935 Washington after 6 or 7 trips!
I have pics of all my previous goodies from this spot from before I started posting here... if anyone is interested. I've only been here twice that I didn't get a silver coin. I don't know if I can post those here or do I start another thread in a different forum? Rules?
There is not really a "past finds" place to post, but I am sure most of us would love to see some more pics of your other finds..you may start a post on the My Best Finds forum:
My Best Finds!

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a great spot to re-grid over and over........congrats!!

Looks like a nice site!! :thumbsup:

Thanks, guys!
While there's not a whole lot from here I would call Best Finds, I think that category will work close enough for 6 or 7 pics of previous finds from this place. Thanks, Lairmo, for the advice. I'll start a new thread there tomorrow.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds! I never found a fish scale but I found a Canadian Quarter this past weekend. I agree, time really does fly by swinging the coil.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old finds, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
C

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds! I never found a fish scale but I found a Canadian Quarter this past weekend. I agree, time really does fly by swinging the coil.

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Nice old finds, congrats! :occasion14:

God that Canadian Silver is cool. Great digs and a great day. Way to go!!

Great hunt & congratulations on all the silver

Thanks, guys! I'm looking at all you with locations ~1000 miles north of me and know what it must be like to see fresh digs. I'm up to 21 silvers for the year and some of you can't even break ground yet.
I like that Canadian, too, washingtonian (neat toning on the reverse), but I sure would have liked a half dime first. Oh, I'll take it, though. In a town founded in 1842, I surely can get a half dime here somewhere!
Thanks for commenting!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your bucket overflowith cool finds thats a good day oh ye of little faith. havith been blessed

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt!! Love that silver:icon_thumleft:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of Silver.:thumbsup: Congrats and good luck out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread