What's new

nickels

fiatfraud

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 6, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
looking for y'alls thoughts. nickels have been worth more than their face value for a few years now. the proposed budget for 2011 includes provisions for the reevaluation of coin compositions. extrapolation rarely does more than skew data/information, but i'm inclined to think that if the presidential budget passes, the nickel's composition will be changed, as it costs almost twice the face value to mint. also, the nickel is the only currently circulated coin worth more than face- thus, as of 2007 it has been illegal to melt/export certain quantities of nickels and pennies.

anyways, picked up 20 rolls and got 5 war nickels and 4 2009's. not bad in my book! and the rest are still worth over 6.5 cents each, so i won't be dumping them anywhere anytime soon...
 
Upvote 0
Yea i with you on this they can only go up in value
HH
Tom
 
5 Wars in 20 rolls is very, very good. Generally, if I find 2 in a box it is happy hunting.

Great to have you on the net,

apush :read2:
 
thanks apush. i've enjoyed your posts/comments, so i'd appreciate your comments on the u.s. nickel's base metal value and the potential change in composition.
 
Fiatfraud,
I am no expert. Nor would I offer advice on this subject. There are so many here on the net, however, that spend a good deal time analyzing, researching, and pondering such questions. I just CHR for fun. Plus, I do buy those comms and a few other coins here and there.

I bet someone here on the forum will be more than happy to give their thoughts or comments. Now, if you had a question about education, or US history . . . . I might be able to help, but economics to me is "Where is Mr. Apush's ATM card?" :icon_sunny:

apush :read2:
 
fair enough apush!

crh is fun, but i also enjoy light speculation. at the worst, i can take the nickels back to the bank. at the best, i take 30% gains on current base metal values.

bonus for you- i hoard bicentennial halves. no good reason, just think they're cool. which, incidentally, is a good enough reason for me :)
 
nice score on the war nickels!!! imo, a person would be better off to dump the nickels, use the money to score silver, which is currently legal to be melted, and has a huge value over face...or, dump the nicks, and hoard copper pennies because they will probably be able to be melted WAYYYYYYY sooner than nickels...just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.....keep it up and hh!
 
I concur with Chainchomp. I started with hoarding nickles, but when I started CRHing I cashed in the nickles and started culling silver. If you are not going to CRH, then stashing nickles is an easy, risk-free (assuming they are not stolen) investment. If you are going to put in the time to CRH, you are better off using the money to buy more coins to sort through. I do keep my 95% copper cents, however. With Copper over $4.50 a pound they are worth 3 cents each.
 
just wondering whats the word on the 2009 nickels? i heard something about them being rare is this true? please explain if you can? thank you.
 
2009 was a low mintage year. the melt value of nickels, largely because of the copper content, is over 7 cents now.
 
I actually bought about 500 dollars in nickels to keep because of this..I went thru them to get out the Wars and oldies, and kept them for awhile, but i decided to dump one day with the rest of my coins.

You are right, they are worth more right now, I personally dont really feel a need to keep them at this time, only because they havent changed the coins yet. But you can bet the moment I hear that this happens, I will be getting some for the long haul for sure.
 
Is anyone having problems getting nickles from their banks yet? People have been posting over on survivalblog about hoarding them. Some guy got 70 boxes just to hoard. I cannot help but wonder how many war nickles or buffs he is just sitting on without even knowing it...
 
the guy at survivorblog ,Rawles,has been pushing nickel for years.Maybe he never heard about copper prices yet.Personally,when the end comes,I'm not going to carry 70 boxes of nickels to a cave out in the woods! Granted,pennies are 3 cents,a nickel is 7,so at melt value,you'd need twice as many pennies! As far as "melt" value,are they going to live in a mud hut purifying the nickels?
 
it's funny - i just came across this fact yesterday, that nickels are worth, idk, like 40% more than face value in their metal value. Now, since we probably aren't going to be able to melt them down anytime soon (but i do think that day is coming when the gov't decides to eliminate the penny, and quite possibly the nickel), I wouldn't go sinking money into BUYING nickels, despite the seeming arbitrage. That said, when I sort through my change each day, I will no longer throw the nickels into the dump bin, but give them a nice home of their own among my jars of silver, waiting for the day when they might be turned in for their potential.

:coffee2:

PS as of 2:51pm on 2/18 a nickel was worth .0733615 thats a 47% premium in metal value alone! :icon_thumright:
 
I haven't started hoarding nickels yet. But if (when) they change the compositon I might just order 20 boxes or so and just sit on them. NO need to go through them right away. They will all be keepers. :-) But I haven't started keeping them yet because I know I can go tomorrow and get them just as easily as today. UNtil they change it.

ALthough i DO keep the 1959 and older, like numerous people here, and also the war nickels of course.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom