What's new

Night Detecting

Anyone been night detecting lately. I have been detecting for 50 years or more, just went for the first time. Very Kool....
My favorite time to hunt the beach is at night. Nobody around to bother me and quiet and peaceful… no hot sun ☀️ burning my ass, when I was younger I would go to Myrtle Beach and hunt all night and then get a room and sleep most of the day… I’m a little old for that now… but it was great
 
I have hunted beaches at night many times by myself, no crowds, no heat, and peaceful. I will add I am 100% always armed with a .45 at night.

I have had 2 friends mugged at night while detecting, one in Miami, one in Daytona, both lost their wallets and detectors, one ended up in hospital with a concussion.
 
Last edited:
I
I have hunted beaches at night many times by myself, no crowds, no heat, and peaceful. I will add I am 100% always armed with a .45 at night.

I have had 2 friends mugged at night while detecting, one in Miami, one in Daytona, both lost their wallets and detectors, one ended up in hospital with a concussion.
I’ve never been bothered but I’ve thought about it.
Funny story…. When I was younger at Myrtle Beach at night 12:30 ish two kids approached me and asked if I could help find their car keys they thought they dropped somewhere. After walking around for 30 minutes and not finding anything, they said they had slipped out the window at home took the car without permission. They were scared about what was going to happen when their parents found out. They asked if I knew how to Hotwire the old pickup they had… back then I had a Ford Galaxy 500 and I did… we went to their car and I in fact helped them Hotwire and start the car… only to discover that the steering wheel had a lock on it and they still couldn’t go anywhere… 🤣😂 I don’t know what happened to them after that 🤷🏼‍♂️🤣
 
I

I’ve never been bothered but I’ve thought about it.
Funny story…. When I was younger at Myrtle Beach at night 12:30 ish two kids approached me and asked if I could help find their car keys they thought they dropped somewhere. After walking around for 30 minutes and not finding anything, they said they had slipped out the window at home took the car without permission. They were scared about what was going to happen when their parents found out. They asked if I knew how to Hotwire the old pickup they had… back then I had a Ford Galaxy 500 and I did… we went to their car and I in fact helped them Hotwire and start the car… only to discover that the steering wheel had a lock on it and they still couldn’t go anywhere… 🤣😂 I don’t know what happened to them after that 🤷🏼‍♂️🤣
LOL, we had a 1962 Ford Galaxy 500 in mid 60s, I used it on dates, bench seats then too. :laughing7:

I was hunting low tide at Daytona one night about midnight, low tide was 2am. I noticed 2 guys were following me, always about 100 feet behind me no matter where I was, I went north they followed, if I went south they followed.

I dont normally hunt deep in water at night, things that go bump in the water at night bite, but I decided I would go in waist deep to hunt and put them off since they were wearing jeans. After about 20-30 mins in water they moved on down the beach and I moved out of the water and continued hunting wet sand and up to knees in water.

We have homeless that sleep on beach at night when weather is nice.

After that I started carrying a .45 anytime I hunted after dark, I had my conceal carry permit then.

My friend was hunting Daytona beach one evening and left the beach when it got real dark, on his way to his car 2 guys walked up, one in front the other behind him, he didnt notice the one behind him, suddenly he felt something hit him in the back of his head. He swung his scoop in circle hitting one, but then he fell as he was dizzy, they took his wallet and detector and he ended up in the hospital with a concussion.
 
Yikes. I didn't think anyone bothered anyone with a metal detector. I am in Rhode Island.... Temp along beach now is in the 40's. Not much happening along the beach right now.. I have spent years fishing at night for stripped Bass in the warmer months.. Only a fool would bother a fisherman at night, They usually carry tools, a gaff and big knives. The would be thugs just move on to easier targets.
 
On a lighter side, I found a lot of coins above the high tide mark. and did pretty well in-between the the high and low water marks. where the goodies are. About going in the water, I did it a lot while fishing but when I was alone I stayed out of the water, Nor that I was worried about those things that go bump in the night. I spent a lot of time in the water in the dark while employed by Uncle Sam. Just don't want to push my luck as I am pretty high on the ladder these days.
 
On a lighter side, I found a lot of coins above the high tide mark. and did pretty well in-between the the high and low water marks. where the goodies are. About going in the water, I did it a lot while fishing but when I was alone I stayed out of the water, Nor that I was worried about those things that go bump in the night. I spent a lot of time in the water in the dark while employed by Uncle Sam. Just don't want to push my luck as I am pretty high on the ladder these days.
Main times I avoid going in water is dusk and dawn, normal feeding times. Dont know about RI, but we have a lot of stingrays here so you want to be careful not to step on one.
 
Ya, Not much in the water up here in the winter. You just have to be carefully of the weather and the water itself. No sharks, no stingrays. The only problem you have is when you come home and your wife ask you where you been all night. Goes down hill from there.
 
Anyone been night detecting lately. I have been detecting for 50 years or more, just went for the first time. Very Kool....
Yeah,, i look out the window .... I can detect the night very easily, it be all dark..:sunny::whip2:
 
Yikes. I didn't think anyone bothered anyone with a metal detector. I am in Rhode Island.... Temp along beach now is in the 40's. Not much happening along the beach right now.. I have spent years fishing at night for stripped Bass in the warmer months.. Only a fool would bother a fisherman at night, They usually carry tools, a gaff and big knives. The would be thugs just move on to easier targets.
I have always thought about the possibility of something happening even though it never has, although people think “he is just detecting” what can he have? Well that machine generally is valued at more than $1000 if it’s a high end machine… making you an instant $500 target … I use a shovel 🪏 on the beach and although it won’t stop a bullet, I could probably do some damage before they got my machine, of course if they got it from me… they could use it on me as well..
 
I agree, as far as women are concerned, Neither night hunting or metal detecting alone is not a good idea. No matter where it is.
Extremely rare to see women using a Metal Detector although I did see a couple one time… both had a machine and were hunting the beach, but I was stunned to see she had her baby in a backpack on her back while walking and hunting 😂🤣
 
I have always thought about the possibility of something happening even though it never has, although people think “he is just detecting” what can he have? Well that machine generally is valued at more than $1000 if it’s a high end machine… making you an instant $500 target … I use a shovel 🪏 on the beach and although it won’t stop a bullet, I could probably do some damage before they got my machine, of course if they got it from me… they could use it on me as well..
I use to carry a large fillet knife that I found in the surf, wooded handle showed a lot of sun damage. I had a police officer ask me one time why I had it, I told him for shark protection, after a second I said both water and land. He told me just be careful.
 
LOL, we had a 1962 Ford Galaxy 500 in mid 60s, I used it on dates, bench seats then too. :laughing7:

I was hunting low tide at Daytona one night about midnight, low tide was 2am. I noticed 2 guys were following me, always about 100 feet behind me no matter where I was, I went north they followed, if I went south they followed.

I dont normally hunt deep in water at night, things that go bump in the water at night bite, but I decided I would go in waist deep to hunt and put them off since they were wearing jeans. After about 20-30 mins in water they moved on down the beach and I moved out of the water and continued hunting wet sand and up to knees in water.

We have homeless that sleep on beach at night when weather is nice.

After that I started carrying a .45 anytime I hunted after dark, I had my conceal carry permit then.

My friend was hunting Daytona beach one evening and left the beach when it got real dark, on his way to his car 2 guys walked up, one in front the other behind him, he didnt notice the one behind him, suddenly he felt something hit him in the back of his head. He swung his scoop in circle hitting one, but then he fell as he was dizzy, they took his wallet and detector and he ended up in the hospital with a concussion.
Yeah my 67 Ford Galaxy 500 had bench seats and NO LOCKING STEERING wheel, so I had a boss show me how to Hotwire it… it was actually pretty easy 😳😂🤣
 
Night hunting is great !
It's best to hunt open areas and Beaches if possible - the woods can be tough.
You just never see the Branches coming - had my Headphones ripped off plenty of times !
 
Night hunting is great !
It's best to hunt open areas and Beaches if possible - the woods can be tough.
You just never see the Branches coming - had my Headphones ripped off plenty of times !
Years ago I knew a guy who had BIG BALLS, and he invited me to go hunting at night in a “confederate field near a RR track” I remember it was cold as fk and we parked in a gravel ditch several acres away from the field, only light was moonlight, and we crossed through the woods and over a few barbed wire fences to get into the field… I think it was 1:30am… I think I got a few mini balls and some flat buttons.. nothing special. But he later told me that it had been a permission he had gotten before and that the owner had then denied permission… 🤷🏼‍♂️ we were a half mile from any road and about that from the RR tracks, we could see a few cars driving past in the far distance and at one point heard the train whistle… there was still a few patches of snow on the ground….
I’m convinced that unless someone had night vision glasses.. nobody could have seen us… it was a very strange experience!!
 
Years ago I knew a guy who had BIG BALLS, and he invited me to go hunting at night in a “confederate field near a RR track” I remember it was cold as fk and we parked in a gravel ditch several acres away from the field, only light was moonlight, and we crossed through the woods and over a few barbed wire fences to get into the field… I think it was 1:30am… I think I got a few mini balls and some flat buttons.. nothing special. But he later told me that it had been a permission he had gotten before and that the owner had then denied permission… 🤷🏼‍♂️ we were a half mile from any road and about that from the RR tracks, we could see a few cars driving past in the far distance and at one point heard the train whistle… there was still a few patches of snow on the ground….
I’m convinced that unless someone had night vision glasses.. nobody could have seen us… it was a very strange experience!!
Before trail cams!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom