Nighttime Halloween hunting breaks the V nickel curse and yields a silver treat

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Happy day after Halloween everybody! I decided to do some treasure 'haunting' in the woods last night. Before that, I decided to do a short 'warm-up behind Angell hall. I focused on all non-iron signals, which produced about 88 cents in clad: 1Q, 4D, 2N, 13C, and about 15 pull tabs in an hour. Picture 046.jpg. Warm up hunts are good because they can improve speed in competiton and can help you determine good signals. One spot produced a zincoln, then a nickel, and a dime almost in the same hole but slightly seperate. The signal was like a broken pulltab, which bounced around. Not something you'd want to dig, but broken signals mean either multiple targets or something unknown. Always dig a signal like this. As darkness fell, I walked to my car, picked up the detector and headlight, and headed into the woods. Night detecting can be safer if you wear a light around your head, especcially since the terrain is hilly and rocky. The first thing I found was a CIA corkscrew, just under the leaves near a condom wrapper ;), somebody must've had som fun in the woods.IMGP0004.JPG Even more surprising was that when I turned it in, the safety officer says it's from American Bounty restaurant on campus. I walk a little more, dig up some broken copper cable and wire, don't you hate discovering them. At least it's 40x more valuable than iron scrap. I pass by a low teens broken signal that was small. At first i think shotgun or other bullet shell and pass by, but a little voice pops into my head "If you've dug up signals like this all over, why pass this one up? Don't be a hypocrite..." I went back, only would take a minute to dig up, havent found any other coins nearby, who knows? I nearly scratched it, but it was an 1899 liberty-v nickel.Picture 047.jpg OMG! I finally did it! There ARE nickles at this site. I was going crazy, tossing leaves all over the place. I calmed down, but couldn't find anything else except more copper wire. I did notice more clam shells around, there's most certainly more coins. Maybe I'll bring a rake and clear the leaves from the path for some depth. I return to an area that produed dimes and got an overload signal. It turns out to be a small sheet of iron the size of an appetizer plate. I remove it, pick up a broken pulltab signal and out comes a 1904 barber dime and 1903 v nickel about 4 inches from each other.Picture 048.jpg Dig those overloads, people. Your detector can't see through sheets of iron. In a few more minutes, I discover a 1900 and 1901 barber dime around and decide to call it a night. Total for the night was 2 v nickles and 3 barbers for a total of 17 indians, 2 v nickles, 15 dimes(10 barber, 3 seated, 2 victorian) I've dug up so much, but I haven't covered every area slowly and carefully. I'm still digging up large plates and chunks of iron, and I lost a digging tool sometime in june there. I'm going to hunt the area only at night. There's got to be a silver quarter somewhere, considering all the dimes. You can learn a lot from digging various signals and even hunting for clad. I might still be relatively new, but i'm learning and doing great.

Attachments

• Picture 049.jpg
    Picture 049.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 437
Upvote 0
Nice digs and some great coins!! Congrats and many don't do the dirty work and miss many good coins, I have been guilty of this at times and have paid the price for it!!

That's a great Halloweeen for sure!

Re: Nighttime Halloween hunting breaks the V nickel curse and yields a silver tr

super tap that SMS88 ;D

Great finds SMS---Nice Barbers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back