Nine Years NO MORE!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. To those who actually follow my peculiar behavior and hunting, prepare for a turn and twist in the road. As ya'll know I have been kicking up dust in a cornfield permission across from my workplace. Gradually improving my finds as I continue to haul out mass quantities of iron and can slaw. It's probably been four years or more since I first stepped foot onto this high patch of ground and until this year my best coins were a silver GW quarter and a very early Lincoln wheatie, 1909 or 10 maybe. I had a breakthrough day yesterday with the two Indians, ring, and rhinestone broach. So I reckon the correct plan of action is head back there today.

I showed up a bit past noon and decided I would attempt to grid this field. All other hunts have been random roaming. I figured I try to work the first row north & south down the slopes a bit and turn around and catch the next few rows going back up. Scored my first cool and old little brass pin find with the basket of fruit on the front. Got a bit excited for that little jewel. After that it was not much for nearly an hour. Then along comes a HUGE yellow end loader with giant bucket cruising up the field. The young man, farmer's daughter's boyfriend, was going to fill in a significant sink hole that was in the field. Not sure initially who it was driving and also he was on the phone for awhile motionless as I detected made me a bit concerned he was calling the girlfriend's parents to see if they knew a "weirdo" was hauling iron from the field.

Curiosity got the best of me and I flagged him down and went to speak with him. No problems with me at all. We exchanged greetings and had a nice little chat. I also pointed out a few pieces of iron and copper rod sticking up vertically just under the surface that may puncture a tire if not removed. They are LONG and I could not get them out. Anyhow after ending our chat my MOJO was thrown off and I decided to chill and drink some sun tea and go back at it. Continued grid searching awhile longer over mostly areas I have already covered without any good finds so I went back to random roaming.

I headed about 100 feet or so out into the cornfield from my parking spot and began hitting loads of iron on a downward slope off the high ground. Now here is where I feel in order to give you my honest perspective on the matter I have to get "spiritual". You can go look at the pictures if this kind of thing annoys you or check someone else's finds out. Having been interrupted or distracted by the big yellow end loader and all took me off my initial game plan. I ended up way beyond where I ever planned on hunting and hit an iron infested sight I have not really hunted very much. I dig up some older iron agriculture harness attachments stuff and think maybe I am onto a spot of older activity.

I get a solid 31 signal repeatable and with no breakup like the can slaw sometimes gives. This is usually a Nickel everyday on my Makro Racer 2. Let me backtrack just a bit. Before I ever turned on my machine today I hit my knees and said a prayer. Not that I would find great stuff but, a bit more personal and humble. Just asking my "creator" to help me be a better person kind of thing. Lord knows I need help in that area. Back to the signal. Many of you may know from reading my posts I am hot after a few Bucket List coins. Namely the Seated Half Dime & Shield Nickel. Well when I got this solid 31 signal I was prompted to "call" Shield Nickel! So I called SHIELD NICKEL, about that LOUD too BTW. It was pretty shallow and a small target so I used my Predator-Lesche hand digger to pop the target out. Located it in the ultrafine lack of rain dust and see a round disk the size of a nickel. Lift it up to my aging eyes and see the sweet #5 encircled by STARS! Yes, after nine long years I have finally caught that wascally wabbit! Snapped his neck and stuck him in my pants pocket so not to loose him again. BTW, It appears I may have given my 1867 Shield Nickel a Predator hand shovel kiss but, it's just a flesh wound and I didn't drop it into the sink hole so it's ALL GOOD!

Oh did I let out some yells, hoots, hollers, and then some dancing in the dust began. I didn't forget to give thanks to the one who leads my steps when I let him or even changes "MY" best laid plans with big yellow end loaders. So if you have followed this way too long description of this hunt and my feeling about it then thanks for your patience. Certainly many or even most think this is Hocus Pocus Mumbo Jumbo. That's fine with me. I know when I have practiced certain principals things work out better for me. I just need a little help to remember my life is not about me but, what I can do for others in my sphere of influence. I am sure most folks attention span probably left off after the first paragraph! On to the PICTURES!!! Kurios1

Shield Nickel Sunday 013.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 003.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 004.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 012.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 015.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 016.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 002.JPG Shield Nickel Sunday 005.JPG

Attachments

• Shield Nickel Sunday 006.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 006.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 007.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 007.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 009.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 009.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 014.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 014.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 018.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 018.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 140
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 020.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 020.JPG
    640.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 023.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 023.JPG
    461.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 025.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 025.JPG
    411.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 024.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 024.JPG
    489.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 026.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 026.JPG
    529.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Shield Nickel Sunday 019.JPG
    Shield Nickel Sunday 019.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Upvote 66

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunting and Nice Finds - Congratulations! :headbang:

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grats on the shield nickel and relic recoveries! I also tend to pray for a good day of metal detecting and always thank the good Lord when a nice find pops up.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find ! I actually got this one before i found the Buffalo or the V nickel ( finally got the Buff ,still looking for the V) the best analogy for my list is the Indian Head cent - after 11 years , I'm still looking for that one .

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find ! I actually got this one before i found the Buffalo or the V nickel ( finally got the Buff ,still looking for the V) the best analogy for my list is the Indian Head cent - after 11 years , I'm still looking for that one .

Having experienced the loooong grueling wondering when or if I will EVER find a Shield Nickel I am tempted to come throw a handful of my Indians into your yard! I know that won't satisfy your wanting to get that sucker off your Bucket List the honorable and correct way. I hope you do get my favorite US coin design soon mate.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grats on the shield nickel and relic recoveries! I also tend to pray for a good day of metal detecting and always thank the good Lord when a nice find pops up.

Cool beans my friend. I must say I had a RIOT this weekend in the country finding some cool old stuff. I can scream, shout, and dance my fool head off and no one around to notice. Such wonderful therapy! God is good!:angel8:

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the beautiful nickel!

Thanks mate. I honestly was shaking from the excitement knowing I FINALLY got that elusive, for me, Shield Nickel. I was not sure if I would call it a day and quit or what? The thrill darn near sapped all my energy!:laughing7: Now I just KNOW there is a Seated Half Dime in this field for SURE!:blackbeard::skullflag::icon_pirat:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !!! Congrats on that Shield Nickel...that is a Great find for you and now can be marked off the 'bucket list'...very happy for you...a sincere Congrats !!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read every beautiful word. Nice finds.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gee who would of thought there would a chance of something good on the fringes of the site. :)
Congrats on the SN it's in fine shape! Hopefully that silver is out there also. Nothing like striking one off the bucket list, you deserve doing a few :blob7::hello2: out in the middle of the corn field.
The brass thingy is probably off a piece of furniture, I dug a similar one last year out of a old homestead, was one of the only things too.

But I'll admit when I got to the big yellow loader part I thought it was going to be a phrase like this: He drove out into the filed and pulled out the grounding rod and scraped the surface of the site off for me revealing the real old finds below the iron.....Oh well I got hooked.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im doing my happy dance for you in the living room. One day ill find that gold spanish cross with emeralds studded all over it and it will be connected to an eleven foot gold chain. We all have different things on our bucket list. Great work and congrats.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful read, site, hunt and finds! Very well done!!! You will be pulling good stuff from this old field for a long time! Good luck to you!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Shield Nickel! I was lucky enough to find one this year, definitely will make your week. I have not found a V Nickel yet, so that coin has been elusive to me. Nice collection of relics as well! Huge congrats!!!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, you definitely earned that one! Congrats! :icon_thumright:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and great story!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations-you sure earned that one. Sometimes persistence pays!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your words and photos tell a great story of faith, hope, and adventure. Congratulations an the variety of finds in such a vast area. It looks overwhelming and/or full of vast opportunity seeing the photo of the field. The selfie looks joyous and proud and full of gratitude. It must be nice to have a site to keep going back to after work and so close. Here is a bit of 1867.
https://worldhistoryproject.org/1867

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread