What's new

NJ Copper, DBLC, and a Tongue & Wreath officer's buckle piece...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
9,215
Reaction score
14,047
Golden Thread
7
Location
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
7
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I really enjoy Fall detecting because it means you can detect the spots that are dying off. A few such spots opened up and I've been having some luck. I returned to the spot where I dug a CT copper and some LC's earlier in the season. Turned out it had opened up a little.

I had a scratchy signal mixed with iron. Thought it was junk. Once dug I could tell is was going to be an ugly one. Initially this coin was a roached Draped bust that had no ID, so I used electrolysis while microwaving it, used an ultrasonic cleaner filled with battery acid, and then sanded it. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477585657.965903.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477585667.922800.webp

I also dig two fat Indians which are soaking.

Next came a copper that came in like a small cent signal.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477585954.515035.webp

Turned out to be a big surprise
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586103.504377.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586122.932815.webp

It's not in the best shape, but it's my best NJ copper of the three nice dug. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586170.038826.webp

The biggest surprise of the day was a quarter signal I dug. I have a video of digging it, then being disappointed thinking it was scrap brass. Then I see it...ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586237.740479.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586247.815292.webp

Turned out to be an tongue from an officer's buckle. Now in not too versed in militaria, but it looks to me like an early-mid 1800's buckle based on it being a poured one-piece. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586363.194971.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586372.425618.webp

And the rest...ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586392.403959.webp

It was a great 2 hour hunt this morning. I wish they all went like that! Last time I was here the ground was dry and brush was high - and I was skunked.

Good digs and good luck,

Steve
 
Last edited:
Upvote 70
That buckle tongue is great, and I love the NJ copper. Looks like it was new when it was dropped.

It's the first NJ I found that's not trashed and looked like a dog chewed on it. And considering the CT copper I found 30' away was pretty roached, I'm going to assume this coin went in Early
 
Yeah I thought for sure that was a button lol. Killer hunt man. That's another great relic and damn good coin

And I remember saying I wasn't going to hunt for a week after our trip. Hahaha! What a joke. I knew it when I said it and now that I wouldn't be able to stay away. Damn I love this hobby
 
Steve your one of the best hunters I've hunted with you seem to just home in on those coins and buttons
I don't know if its the machine or just your spider senses.
But whatever it is keep up the recoveries I do love that jersey copper!! On my bucket list ,
Happy hunting. "ba$tadr$ofbramble". Good luck.
 
No, I cant let you guys see it. The contraption is beyond beauty and will melt anyone's eyes that attempts to look at it.

Very selfish of you, Steve. I was hoping to possibly improve the microwave-electrolysis technique and incorporate some additional apparatus to defuse some CW artillery rounds! :laughing7:
 
Good stuff , kool..~ a Jersey copper 8-)


daWg
 
Can't beat fall conditions with a stick. It is my favorite time of the year. Wtg on the NJ copper Scrappy. But man The tongue :icon_thumright:.Will sit nicely next to that complete one you found awhile back. Superb hunt dude!
 
Killer finds, congrats
 
Excellent start to the fall season!

I'm glad to see that at least someone is attempting some of my last ditch cleaning process. ;)

Make sure the muriatic acid is hot enough before you dunk. Makes 'em crispier! ;)
 
Nice going on #3 NJ. 1787 Maris 46-e, one of the most common variety in the survey, 50 of them..... PM me county please and did not get the data on #2. :)
Don

Thanks for the ID Don. I PM'd you the info as in sure you've seen by now. Keep up the killer ID work, you're a huge asset to the hobby, collecting, and this forum buddy.

Steve
 
Steve your one of the best hunters I've hunted with you seem to just home in on those coins and buttons
I don't know if its the machine or just your spider senses.
But whatever it is keep up the recoveries I do love that jersey copper!! On my bucket list ,
Happy hunting. "ba$tadr$ofbramble". Good luck.

Aw shucks Charlie, you say that to all the fellas' lol.
 
Great finds! [emoji2][emoji106]
 
Very selfish of you, Steve. I was hoping to possibly improve the microwave-electrolysis technique and incorporate some additional apparatus to defuse some CW artillery rounds! :laughing7:

Lol. I prefer cutting a hole in rounds with an oxy/acetylene torch, and reserve the microwave electrolysis for relics and pewters.

(Note: I do not actually open shells with oxy/acetylene) I could see something get mistaken as real, and it ending on the news due to these Millennial types running about.
 
Can't beat fall conditions with a stick. It is my favorite time of the year. Wtg on the NJ copper Scrappy. But man The tongue :icon_thumright:.Will sit nicely next to that complete one you found awhile back. Superb hunt dude!

Haha! You remember!

It's sitting next to it in a case as we speak. I still don't have an ID on the tongue so I'll probably end up PM'ing Buck and CannonballGuy
 
I was just looking in this book. Possibly a 1840 period militia officer?
 
Nice Scrappy coco
 
Scrappy coco:laughing7: That movie was hilarious
 
I was just looking in this book. Possibly a 1840 period militia officer?

That's around what I'm thinking. I would really like to nail down a date. That would be a great era to have a buckle from.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom