What's new

NJ Copper, DBLC, and a Tongue & Wreath officer's buckle piece...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
9,215
Reaction score
14,047
Golden Thread
7
Location
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
7
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I really enjoy Fall detecting because it means you can detect the spots that are dying off. A few such spots opened up and I've been having some luck. I returned to the spot where I dug a CT copper and some LC's earlier in the season. Turned out it had opened up a little.

I had a scratchy signal mixed with iron. Thought it was junk. Once dug I could tell is was going to be an ugly one. Initially this coin was a roached Draped bust that had no ID, so I used electrolysis while microwaving it, used an ultrasonic cleaner filled with battery acid, and then sanded it. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477585657.965903.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477585667.922800.webp

I also dig two fat Indians which are soaking.

Next came a copper that came in like a small cent signal.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477585954.515035.webp

Turned out to be a big surprise
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586103.504377.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586122.932815.webp

It's not in the best shape, but it's my best NJ copper of the three nice dug. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586170.038826.webp

The biggest surprise of the day was a quarter signal I dug. I have a video of digging it, then being disappointed thinking it was scrap brass. Then I see it...ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586237.740479.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586247.815292.webp

Turned out to be an tongue from an officer's buckle. Now in not too versed in militaria, but it looks to me like an early-mid 1800's buckle based on it being a poured one-piece. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586363.194971.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586372.425618.webp

And the rest...ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477586392.403959.webp

It was a great 2 hour hunt this morning. I wish they all went like that! Last time I was here the ground was dry and brush was high - and I was skunked.

Good digs and good luck,

Steve
 
Last edited:
Upvote 70
Steve--WOW! Just look at those awesome finds! Envious for sure. Congrats. -Lisa & John
 
outstanding.gif
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing...
 
Scrappy! Those are are awesome finds my friend. The NJ copper is really sweet, congrats. The broken tongue is an awesome find too.

Very well done sir!
 
Wow man :headbang: That tongue and NJ cleaned up awesome. That's a great use of time filling up a pocket full of keepers in a couple hours. Incredible hunt dude.
 
Nice hunt Steve. The NJ and the tongue are both high quality keepers!
 
Dang Steve,,
October has been good to you.
Congratulations on all of your finds
 
Yep, Fall is the best hunting time of the year, and it looks like you're taking full advantage! Congrats on some sweet finds. By the way, that's one heck of a cleaning process. I've not mastered electrolysis inside of a microwave yet :icon_scratch: But my wife is out of town right now, so I'm thinking it's the perfect time to try that out!
 
Yep, Fall is the best hunting time of the year, and it looks like you're taking full advantage! Congrats on some sweet finds. By the way, that's one heck of a cleaning process. I've not mastered electrolysis inside of a microwave yet :icon_scratch: But my wife is out of town right now, so I'm thinking it's the perfect time to try that out!

Yeah Steve, I need some sort of visual on that cleaning process, lol.

Awesome finds! I though that tongue was a big button from the pictures you sent earlier. That's a really cool find.
 
Thanks Lisa, are you still hunting that Massachvsetts property?
 
Thx Tom. If you and the old goat come North I'll take you there.

Cheers
 
Thx Art. My expectations were really low, which sometimes makes the perfect setup for a good hunt.
 
Its funny that everyone I sent the picture to thought it was a button! lol
 
Yep, Fall is the best hunting time of the year, and it looks like you're taking full advantage! Congrats on some sweet finds. By the way, that's one heck of a cleaning process. I've not mastered electrolysis inside of a microwave yet :icon_scratch: But my wife is out of town right now, so I'm thinking it's the perfect time to try that out!

Yeah Steve, I need some sort of visual on that cleaning process, lol.

Awesome finds! I though that tongue was a big button from the pictures you sent earlier. That's a really cool find.

No, I cant let you guys see it. The contraption is beyond beauty and will melt anyone's eyes that attempts to look at it.
 
Very cool...love that buckle tongue!
 
That buckle tongue is great, and I love the NJ copper. Looks like it was new when it was dropped.
 
Yeah I thought for sure that was a button lol. Killer hunt man. That's another great relic and damn good coin
 
Great finds, all. And three NJCs just rad.

But I am surprised you stopped at sandpaper with that draped coin. Run out of napalm? What'd she do to you?? :laughing7:
 
Last edited:
Nice going on #3 NJ. 1787 Maris 46-e, one of the most common variety in the survey, 50 of them..... PM me county please and did not get the data on #2. :)
Don
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom