NKP Passenger Car Photo Record

JoyF

Oct 3, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thick binder of what appears to be 1940s Nickel Plate Road passenger car photos. Well-documented photos with multiple views of each car. Many are embossed "Built by Pullman Car & MFG. Corp. Chicago." There are about 180 photos. Can anyone give me any info on these like what they were used for? Also, looking to sell. Any ideas about where I could best sell? Thanks. IMG_7406.JPG IMG_7408.JPG IMG_7413.JPG IMG_7410.JPG IMG_7422.JPG

jodeabode

Sep 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi JoyF,
According to the Smithsonian these might be Pullman company photographic prints. "The photographs document Pullman cars, including freight, passenger, private, and street railway/rapid transit. Many of the images depict interior views of the cars, and there are some views of porters and passengers." [/I]I work for an auction house and I'm currently researching the collection we have. Our copies have an embossed "Built by Pullman Car and Manufacturing Corporation Chicago" mark along with handwritten documentation numbers that were written on the negatives. It looks like some of yours have date marks for the 1930s.

Check out the Smithsonian website at Pullman Palace Car Company Photographs NMAH.AC.1175. The most useful information I found is under the 'Scope and Contents Note" link.

As for value, I'm not finding any past sales records. These may be fairly rare. Our auction is scheduled for the weekend of October 27th and we will post the prices realized after the sale at SoulisAuctions.com.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
J

JoyF

Oct 3, 2012
Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much! That is extremely helpful. I've been sick for awhile, that's why it's taken me so long to reply. Was on here to research something else and remembered I had posted this thread. I also have a binder of Freight cars.

Any ideas as to whether it would be better to sell all as a whole or individually? Thanks again. Jesus Saves!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread