What's new

NO CLUE WHAT THIS IS FOUND AT 1700s HOUSE SITE, IN THE WATER

calmerthanu

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
303
Reaction score
688
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon / minelab x-terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NO CLUE WHAT THIS IS FOUND AT 1700's HOUSE SITE, IN THE WATER

hunting riverbank in front of remnants of colonial era house, my friend found this piece well preserved in the mud, no clue what it is, there are letters on it looks like biral??
194949_363020980438032_1160549667_o.webp
 
ok cannons have a touch hole. you would screw it to a pole and run the cord through the tube area and ignite the cannon

Very possible but what would the 2 round holes and the rectangular hole be for? I was thinking the same thing but I couldn't find any matchlock set up that was even close.
 
Upvote 0
it truly is a mystery, i will see if i can get some more close up high quality pics of it tommorow
 
Upvote 0
I think its a personal item or tool because of the non professional engravings on one side. Look at the hatch marks. They are very amateur and were engraved by the owner not the factory.
 
Upvote 0
My first thought was that it was a part of a gun. An old antique gun. or part of a tool.
 
Upvote 0
Hope ya don't mind. I played with picture in P.S. and changed to B/W. The writing on your item is a bit more clear ( I think ) I also enlarged it to 700X?......NGepin door stop.webp
 
Upvote 0
It may be a piece from Young & Sons surveying or scale equipment. Very interesting, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
I got to thinking of a candle lighter/snuffer part which would attach to a pole or handle. The larger hole to attach snuffer allowing it to pivot, other side to hold wick. Couldn't find any that look like this one.
 
Upvote 0
Found a couple more things it might be but there isn't anything I can find that looks just like it.
 

Attachments

  • wheel_castor.summ.webp
    wheel_castor.summ.webp
    972 bytes · Views: 132
  • doorknocker.webp
    doorknocker.webp
    6.4 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom