Unidentified Fighting knife

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I received this knife today on a trade. The fellow said the knife belonged to his Great Uncle who was in WWII. It is a double blade design with no visible markings. I Can tell it is old, because the brass cap at the end of the handle is worn through. No visible markings that I can see. I love the knife as a display piece. Let me know what you knife experts think. Thanks on advance.

0056cb65.jpg

65f4c641.jpg

1777c322.jpg

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With no markings I would assume it is custom made. Very common for people to make out files and such. Many an old farmer etc. knew how to temper steel. Really a cool old knife. ........just a guess but thats my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. Could be a fighting knife made by a soldier with the materials he had handy. In World War I and II soldiers made these knives, some cut down from long bayonets or short swords. The brass was commonly from artillery shell casings.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Homemade 1970's ouch. Wow.

Upvote 0

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I remember something similar on sale called a"Tennessee toothpick" perhaps Civil War?

Upvote 0

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I'm gonna go with hand made also and as far as a date??? If you look at the spacing between the rivets in the handle they are all different, I doubt that this knife was made in a factory or mass produced. Still a cool knife so if your happy with the trade all is good.

Charlie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The handle has me confused. It can be scratched with my fingernail. I don't know what it is made out of. It is very soft. Or brittle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been researching and have found a term Theater knife. Could this be a theater knife that this fellow carried along with him during the war. The fellow that carried this was an MP During the war. Just trying to put the pieces together.

Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
My Dad's Uncle made knives. He made Dad one he carried in WW2. Made from a file and very good steel. I'm betting home made like them. I still have a couple of his knives.

Upvote 0

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The south didnt have it as easy as the north so many things werent made from the factory it was hand made from material they had at there disposal....most things from the confederate army is faked because of that same reason the style is that of the arkansas tooth pick but you got to ask yourself does it appear to be of the time period? is the handle worn from use? is the iron pitted or showing any signs of age?...i dont see any i would have to pass on buying something that looks so pristine that is suppose to be 100 years old

Upvote 0
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The iron blade is pitted. The handle is worn, but in good shape. The hand guard is a little loose and the brass heel cap is worn in the center showing the iron underneath. I'm not 100% sure of its creation, but it belonged to a MP during WW2. That is the story the fellow told me. I like the knife and I might could put an edge on it.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
The south didnt have it as easy as the north so many things werent made from the factory it was hand made from material they had at there disposal....most things from the confederate army is faked because of that same reason the style is that of the arkansas tooth pick but you got to ask yourself does it appear to be of the time period? is the handle worn from use? is the iron pitted or showing any signs of age?...i dont see any i would have to pass on buying something that looks so pristine that is suppose to be 100 years old
Maybe I missed it but I dont think he ever said anything about the Civil War. Wrong century.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes!

I have been researching and have found a term Theater knife. Could this be a theater knife that this fellow carried along with him during the war. The fellow that carried this was an MP During the war. Just trying to put the pieces together.

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
would say the proper name for such a knife would be a DIRK. I think. collected some blades back in the '70s and '80s. My faves were Randall knives, out of Orlando. Even had one he etched my name in. He would stop civilian production and only do troops' requests during the Viet Conflict. Today, many knifemakers around. Nice instrument there, Zax! Why is part of my post in itallics? TTC

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Why is part of my post in itallics? TTC
You may have accidentally clicked on the new TN option for "first sentence italics". We have an option for everything. Excuse me while I search through a thousand smileys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4a78df61.jpg

8610c822.jpg

7d99d0f0.jpg

39410bbd.jpg

I will Do more research on Dirk. I put some naval jelly on the blade to remove the rust on it. It had a little surface rust on it. I like it much better now. Still has a sharp edge to it. It is made well.

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the Grips made of Bakelite, The stuff that came before that was around during the first world war, I'd have to say hand made
the rivets look handmade too. Not sure why But it screams WWI, Maybe trench work, Alot of the guys would make all kinda stuff
the trenches were very dull during the interludes between fighting....jmho.......HH and a cool knife.

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A representative Scottish Dirk.... Scottish Dirk.jpg TTC

Upvote 0
OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bakelite. That is the word I was trying to remember. I think it could be Bakelite. If it is WWI then I have tons of relics from that time period I could display with it. I'm glad I made the trade. Hopefully we will be able to mark this as solved soon.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread