What's new

No clue

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
But it most certainly was dug on a CW battle site.
I had to go to Tennessee yesterday for some business.
I met up with a buddy and we detected some property his family owns on a battle site.
He dug this.


What does it belong to?

The size is about 3inches long or so.


Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 0223101926.jpg_thumb.webp
    0223101926.jpg_thumb.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 457
  • 0223101927a.jpg_thumb.webp
    0223101927a.jpg_thumb.webp
    7.9 KB · Views: 453
Looks like something is missing :icon_scratch: .. Geez .. I have no idea on that one!
 
Upvote 0
I am wondering if it could be a wick holder for one of those yard lights or something .. The prongs look like they were made to grip something .. Interesting piece!
 
Upvote 0
I was thinking the four prongs might have held a candle.
 
Upvote 0
Pics a little fuzzy, but it reminds me of a brass instrument mouthpiece with the wings meant to hold sheet music.

Edit: I think it may be off of a cornet, and not the mouthpiece, an attachment closer to the bell, but I cannot find an exact match.
 
Upvote 0
My first guess was a piece to a musical instrument or bugle but I don't think that is it. The wings would have been facing the other way to hold the music and it would have been too close to the mouthpiece if that is what it is. You got me stumped on this one buddy. It most certainly is a odd piece. I sure hope that someone can id this because now I am curious.
 
Upvote 0
M & M, it looks like a 'courting candle' holder(not the base holder, but the part that slides over the candle). Back during Colonial to Victorian times, a beau would coming courting, and the young ladies' parents would light a courting candle, and when the wax melted down to the brass, it was time for the lad to leave. The butterfly looking piece was the handle to slide the brass up and down on the candle. The pic posted is not exactly what I'm looking, but you get the idea. If you GOOGLE courting candles you'll see a lot of repros that look like metal pig tails. The very early ones were shaped like yours. I might add, this is a SUPER NICE find and rare too! Breezie
 

Attachments

  • CourtingCandle.webp
    CourtingCandle.webp
    8 KB · Views: 363
  • ColonialCourtingCandles.webp
    ColonialCourtingCandles.webp
    2.1 KB · Views: 323
Upvote 0
I need better photos--from many angles. Is it hollow? On both ends? Is there rust on the tapered end? Measurements--Height And as well as Length, or something for size reference?


Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
Kevo_DFX said:
Pics a little fuzzy, but it reminds me of a brass instrument mouthpiece with the wings meant to hold sheet music.

Edit: I think it may be off of a cornet, and not the mouthpiece, an attachment closer to the bell, but I cannot find an exact match.

I think you are spot on Kevo :icon_thumleft:

That just screams 'Sheet Music' with its Lyre shape.
Lyre shape.webp

Edit: Except, for practical purposes it is upside down :icon_scratch:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Nice work Breezie :icon_thumleft:
I don't have the programmes (programs :tongue3:) or the skills to do that ;D
The item is certainly designed to be easily applicable and removable.
I do enjoy sharing your knowledge of obscure finds - but 4HMike found this at a Battle site :dontknow:
Mike
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
Nice work Breezie :icon_thumleft:
I don't have the programmes (programs :tongue3:) or the skills to do that ;D
The item is certainly designed to be easily applicable and removable.
I do enjoy sharing your knowledge of obscure finds - but 4HMike found this at a Battle site :dontknow:
Mike

Mike, thanks for the kudos. I have found the strangest things on battlefields including a 1940's lipstick tube! LOL There could have easily been a homestead in that area before or after the Civil War. Those candle sleeves helped with the stability of the candle (no need to burn the house down), and the idea of using it as a 'courting candle' probably evolved from the original use of weight and stablilty. It may not be a candle sleeve; it's hard to tell from the photos, but it does have the characteristics. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
I need better photos--from many angles. Is it hollow? On both ends? Is there rust on the tapered end? Measurements--Height And as well as Length, or something for size reference?


Thanks.
I'll email him for better photos and a size reff.

It's hollow.
It was smack ab in the middle of a battle site and camp somewhere in TN.
It's light
2-1/2 inches long
appears to be copper
 
Upvote 0
I think it is a candle holder
 
Upvote 0
Awesome find Mike. Now that is a piece of history that you don't see every day.
 
Upvote 0
I have that exact same piece in my junk bucket, i always thought it was a wick holder from a lantern, its only about an inch in size.

Pro
 
Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but I do not think this is solved. Can anyone find an example of a courting candle with a pronged base like the item in this thread has?

I can't.

I just don't think that is the correct ID for the item. I'm not asking for an exact match--just something similar in style.

I am still waiting for better photos from a variety of angles. And I'd like to know about the iron spot that I asked about. If there was an iron chain attached to this at one time, then I think that kills the candle sleeve idea.

I wouldn't think that anything that's going to be around a heat source like that should be made of copper. Are you sure it's copper? It'd heat up and melt the candle as the flame burned low. Or at least get the candle warm enough to warp it and then you'd never get the thing off. That's one of the reasons the courting candles have Lots of air flow. This item on the other hand is a Closed sleeve of some sort.

IMO the green check should be removed.


Regards,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0
I think the prongs fit over a pipe or valve stem, its pretty solid construction, candle sleeve? no i dont think so, I was thinking more towards part of a lantern, almost looks like it could be a pencil sharpener also, the hole where the prongs are is the size of a pencil. ok well heres the piece i have. you have me somewhat curious now.
thanks
Pro
 

Attachments

  • 103_0445.webp
    103_0445.webp
    30.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 103_0446.webp
    103_0446.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 103_0447.webp
    103_0447.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 303
Upvote 0
After seeing the clearer pics, I retract my courting candle theory, but at least we took a stroll down courting candle lane. LOL Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom