What's new

No Halves At Chase?

srcdco

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2006
Messages
431
Reaction score
360
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I stopped at one of the local Chase banks to dump halves (I use them to make my car payment) and the commercial teller told me that she's not been able to order halves for quite awhile. She's had customers ask for them and when she puts the order in the system, it resets the amount to 0. Then she said that she got an internal memo stating that the branches cannot order halves or large dollar coins anymore as they are "non-circulating coinage". She said that they are supposed to refer the customer to the U.S. Mint website. I wonder how long it will be before other banks follow suit?

Scott
 
Upvote 0
Thats funny my local chase order for me not all the time but will if I ask. Had a huge silver hit from my chase branches today and yesterday course they were hand rolls . 1 walker,12 40 percenters,and 8 64s all in 5 rolls and 2 different branches. :hello2:
 
My BOA and Capital One branches do NOT order halves, even at customer request, because they are considered "non-circulating coinage", but their coin counting machines do count halves.
Ironic, isn't it?
 
Yeah, I thought it was funny that they'd take mine as payment for my car loan and I have no other accounts with them, but they won't order them for anyone. The teller told me months ago that people have asked to order them and she tries, but the computer won't let her. Then she tried calling the money center and asked about it and was told that they aren't available. Shortly after that, the memo came out.

Scott
 
srcdco said:
The other day I stopped at one of the local Chase banks to dump halves (I use them to make my car payment) and the commercial teller told me that she's not been able to order halves for quite awhile. She's had customers ask for them and when she puts the order in the system, it resets the amount to 0. Then she said that she got an internal memo stating that the branches cannot order halves or large dollar coins anymore as they are "non-circulating coinage". She said that they are supposed to refer the customer to the U.S. Mint website. I wonder how long it will be before other banks follow suit?

Scott

I have the feeling that your commercial teller is probably lying to you about the internal memo. Around here all of the car washes use dollar coins.
HH
Rich
 
Kauka said:
My BOA and Capital One branches do NOT order halves, even at customer request, because they are considered "non-circulating coinage", but their coin counting machines do count halves.
Ironic, isn't it?
That's odd, here in Mi I've ordered oodles of boxes from BOA.
 
Seems different branch managers do things different. I will ask for a box of coins at different branches to not wear out my welcome but a chase bank i hit in the bronx wanted to charge me. Sometimes when asking for halves i teller will offer to order a box for me. Please note that i never ask or order more then 2 boxes at any given branch in a month. I do have the advantage of my location being near hundreds of banks.
 
Lucky boogers
Mebbee it's my location
I'll have to try a couple of different ones
The ones close-by are definitely NOT CRH-friendly
 
Both of my local Chase branches order halves for me. I don't do a whole lot of volume, maybe two boxes a month from each branch, sometimes 4 boxes from one and 2 from the other. I spoke directly with the vault teller and branch manager before trying to order and they were completely cool with it.

Spoke with a newer officer at my department who used to be a manager at one of my dump banks and he said that he used to order boxes with no fees for several clients who were polite and good customers, but that others who were snotty or felt that the bank owed it to them order their halves would get charged the fees the bank got charged.

According to him, his bank and others that ordered from the Fed would be charged but that some other banks, including Chase, have their own stockpiles that they order from so they don't usually charge. Again, that's if they like the customer. The banks with their own stockpiles only ordered from the Fed if they ran low. Also, he said that banks that order their coin from private entities usually don't charge because they have a standard monthly fee for the shipment of boxes regardless of how much coin they order, and that it doesn't cost them any extra to add more boxes.

So far that's been in line with my experiences wihen ordering from several different banks with different sources.
 
thanks for he insight, belverton
it's always been my rule of thumb to be polite
doesn't always pay-off in terms of the folks there saying "yes" to ordering halves

ps - whereabouts is cleburne?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom