What's new

No Home Grown Tomatos for Me!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,741
Reaction score
12,697
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These plants were almost 6 feet tall this morning. This afternoon the one on the left was completely shriveled up and the one on the right was starting to. Tomato wilt virus is the culprit and there is no cure. I pulled one up and threw it away and will probably get the other one tomorrow. I can't even re-plant now or next year in the same spot.
 

Attachments

  • tomato 1.webp
    tomato 1.webp
    378.6 KB · Views: 103
  • tomato 2.webp
    tomato 2.webp
    412.8 KB · Views: 88
That's depressing. I've not heard this virus before. The only issues I have ever had are those tomato worms and I would go out with a pair of scissors and snip each one them in half every now and then.
 
That's a shame! You'll need to use big pots instead of in the ground in that spot. Better luck with the surviving plant (but I wouldn't be too optimistic).
HH
dts
 
Hmm... Never heard of it, either. I looked it up. It is spreading rapidly. Huge bummer.
 
I hope it doesn't get my tomato plants. Sorry...
 
These plants were almost 6 feet tall this morning. This afternoon the one on the left was completely shriveled up and the one on the right was starting to. Tomato wilt virus is the culprit and there is no cure. I pulled one up and threw it away and will probably get the other one tomorrow. I can't even re-plant now or next year in the same spot.

Are they Hybrid or Heirloom?
 
Hmm... Never heard of it, either. I looked it up. It is spreading rapidly. Huge bummer.

Last year and the year before I had several New Guinea Impatiens that did that over night.
 
Maybe spraying the plants with a mixture of dish soup (just a little bit) and water might stop the virus? Just a suggestion.
 
Maybe spraying the plants with a mixture of dish soup (just a little bit) and water might stop the virus? Just a suggestion.

From what I read there is nothing that can stop it. Pull up the plant and do not use the same spot for at least a year. The other plant is still hanging in but I had to remove three main stalks. I'll see what happens with it.
 
Your plants look like my wife's biggest tomato plant last week. I'll ask her what she did because it's thriving again. May not be what you were led to believe.
 
Your plants look like my wife's biggest tomato plant last week. I'll ask her what she did because it's thriving again. May not be what you were led to believe.

It's too late now. I have already disposed of it. I removed three large stalks from the second one and it seems to be hanging on. I think it is the hybrid. Hopefully it will make it and I will get a few tomatos.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom