What's new

no idea, maybe piece of a gun?

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
107
Golden Thread
0
Location
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
no idea on this one. found in a field I know where there was a pre civil war rally, but there has also been activity on this land for 350 years.

thanks for looking and HH
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0461.webp
    IMG_0461.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0462.webp
    IMG_0462.webp
    4 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0463.webp
    IMG_0463.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 343
wstgo said:
Bob, is it cast iron or made by hand?

actually I think it's brass and it is broken off at both ends.
 
Upvote 0
Consideing that the object is made of brass, and noting its curvature, it resembles the "business end" of a broken spur. I've seen some very crude spurs which have just a simple (no rowel/wheel) prong for prodding the horse ...but never seen one with such a very short (1/2-inch?) prong/prod.
 
Upvote 0
Question, being it is so small:

Could it possibly be a fighting rooster spur >? :dontknow:

Never mind, after some searching, those things are wicked.
 
Upvote 0
I can see the spur option. It is just a small portion of the back curve, so I don't think that it is so small--the curve can be extended on around. Help me out, but perhaps this style was called a prick spur. I am sure they have been popular dozens of times, but I have seen them on memorial brasses in England from the 1400's.

I will be surprised if "spur" is not the answer.
 
Upvote 0
allan said:
is it too small to be a pennsylvania long rifle trigger guard piece ? or Kentucky rifle for those that lean that way lol here is a link for some that sure does look like it could fit http://www.stonewallcreekoutfitters.com/trigger-guards/

Thats what I thought when I found it, but looking at those trigger guards they are very wide, much wider than this piece.

I think the spur idea is looking legit, Maybe a Prince of Wales type spur
 
Upvote 0
I definitely agree with this being a piece of a spur. And there are a few styles of spurs that I have seen that had no rowels. And judging by the size it looks that it might have been a child's spur. Maybe that's why it has no rowel. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I don't know what it is but I would lean towerd the spur rather than the gun part. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Pre civil war?
Replies
6
Views
586
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas?
Replies
4
Views
572

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom