🔎 UNIDENTIFIED No idea, yet.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I found these in a harvested field today. The 2 small ones seem to be regular rocks. The larger 2 have me wondering. The longer one weighs 16-1/4 ounces and is mildly attracted to a magnet in most surfaces. A few spots are strongly attracted. The baseball-size rock weighs 14-1/4 ounces and is strongly attracted to a magnet on 100% of its surfaces.
I’m not ready to yell meteor. That’s why I posted it here instead. The large rock varies in color from gray to green to black to reddish-brown (iron?). Any input appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2125.jpeg
    IMG_2125.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2126.jpeg
    IMG_2126.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
I don't know what the host rock is but in the larger specimen (over to the right-hand side of it) I can see large dark inclusions with an isometric crystal habit. The most common mineral with that appearance which is also attracted to a magnet would be magnetite (terrestrial). I don't see anything which would suggest a meteoritic origin for the rocks.

Upvote 2
I don't know what the host rock is but in the larger specimen (over to the right-hand side of it) I can see large dark inclusions with an isometric crystal habit. The most common mineral with that appearance which is also attracted to a magnet would be magnetite (terrestrial). I don't see anything which would suggest a meteoritic origin for the rocks.
That was my feeling, but I’m pretty green at the meteorite field. I was just surprised to find 2 strongly magnetically attracted rocks in one day and they aren’t similar to each other. They are the first I’ve found that weren’t tiny pebbles. They exhibit no crust or evidence of surface melting. I appreciate your answer. Looks like 2 more for the rock garden.👍🏼

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back