No Metal Detecting Signs in City Park

bearbob2

Jan 19, 2013
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here in Palm Bay Florida they have up No Metal Detecting Signs in all the City Parks. So I did some research
and discovered there was "NO" City ordance thet forbids it. I contacted the City Counsel and actually got a responce from the City Attorney's office. They told me there was no code or written policy that prohibited this activity within the city parks.

With that said every time I try to metal detect at on of the parks (where the signs are still posted) I end up being confronted with city employees telling me I must stop and leave. Even when I explain the conversations I had with their attorney I am still harassed.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle this problem, the director of Patks and Receration is completly non-responcives to all my emails.

Pork King

Jan 27, 2013
North Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter Ultra Mag
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was me, I'd just let it go. I've learned that dealing with a city or county on such matters is usually more trouble than it's worth.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had this problem here about geocaching. I went and asked for a copy of the ordinance and was told none exhisted. I went to a couple board members and the looked intomit and i was told no ordinance exhisted. I then showed them all the brochure that their rec department put out saying it was banned. Turns out it was a parks director who though he made village policy and put that in the book. I had to make a presentation to the village board as a whole and was told they would fix the problem and itwas. Now i am working on the same type of ban on metal detecting.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The parks here in my town requires a permit for any event. Metal detecting also requires a permit. The permit is free, good for 6 months, and you can detect in all the city parks. We have many. You may wish to help council with a policy like this. Sorry to hear a place like Florida has no fun zones.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Contact the city attorney, in writing and get a written response. Print out the email. Carry it with you.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a letter from the village manager if you have one or e mayor. That can be sent to the recreation or parks department wich ever handles the parks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
bearbob2,

I agree with pork king. If it were me and I was aware of the facts as you say, I would just go at low traffic times, when such busy-bodies are not around. Even if it means hunting after 5pm. So peaceful, so serene, so out of sight is out of mind.

With all due respect to Casca, G.I.B., and gerryk, trying to get "permits" or written permission implemented is usually a recipe for disaster. They will just say no, to take the easy route out (I mean seriously, do you think they want to be bothered?) Or they will just make a rule that says no detecting, to address your "pressing issues".

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already did it for geocaching and got it reversed. I will work on it for metal detecting. It wont happen overnight and i will have to d my homework.

OP
OP
B

bearbob2

Jan 19, 2013
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the imput, it just tickes me off. More and more intrusion on our daily lives and activities from goverment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions