No Pic...Just a post

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I decided to check out my front yard. 1888 homesite. I only found 1 quarter and 3 pennies. Only 1/2 hour hunt and lots of ground to cover. My finds were only back to 1970's so far...Lots of very deep silver tones that I did not dig yet. Found lots of earthworms...yeah. The tones on my AT PRO at my Mom's farm come up with high silver (90)'s but only find worms and grubs in the hole!! What the heck?! Thinking my AT Pro is a really good worm detector...:BangHead:

Upvote 10

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Hey - look on the bright side - you are now 28 cents closer to being rich!:laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn worms on roller-skates.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't worry, there is silver waiting for you! :icon_thumright:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worms are pushing them around for you. You may want to YouTube on" How to Train Worms". Then you can have them push them up to your front door.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you opened a can of worms.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the target was a little deeper? Maybe your coil is hitting something and your falsing? Deep iron will do a sound and number also like silver with AT Pro.
Keep trying, let me know if you need a helping hand?

OP
OP
M

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't have a pinpointer. That might help alot. I don't think it's falsing (you mean when you bump the coil and it beeps)? Several times when I have a good strong signal, I'll dig to China and then the signal disappears. The only thing in the hole will be a worm. Is that why they call it "Dirt Fishing"? Lol...so you can find worms easy? I did think the worms were eating all the minerals in the ground thus causing a reaction on my AT Pro...:) I'm still working at it and have found a few cool things. Found a 1905 Indian Head Penny so I know there's neat stuff to find.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good topic!
any entymologists here would know that as earthworms burrow they eat and process whatever they come upon.
silver readings and worms mean the worms have processed the silver and it is in their digestive system.
You will need to open the worms, collect the innards and boil the mess till you see the silver

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I don't have a pinpointer. That might help alot. I'll dig to China and then the signal disappears. The only thing in the hole will be a worm. I'm still working at it and have found a few cool things. Found a 1905 Indian Head Penny so I know there's neat stuff to find.

I'm all about Digging To China! Hey, a 1905 is pretty awesome.

A Pinpointer may have been the most sanity saving purchase I've made. Is it possible you have some can slaw? That rings up pretty high. I can't remember who's post or video I first saw it in but have a piece of carpet or towel with you and put your dirt on it. That way you can scan it even without a pinpointer using your machine and then start making smaller and smaller piles until you have the target. I always carry my towel. Helps with hole clean up too.

DigToChina

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it up! The 1905 IH Cent is a good indicator that there's more to find. Maybe collect those worms and sell them to a bait shop! :icon_thumright:
PS: Maybe my imagination but I often observe that my coil seems to cause worms to come to the surface where I am swinging it.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to get worms a lot....

The doctor has a medicine that kills them. JK.

Keep at it. The next could have a silver coin in it. GL!

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I decided to check out my front yard. 1888 homesite. I only found 1 quarter and 3 pennies. Only 1/2 hour hunt and lots of ground to cover. My finds were only back to 1970's so far...Lots of very deep silver tones that I did not dig yet. Found lots of earthworms...yeah. The tones on my AT PRO at my Mom's farm come up with high silver (90)'s but only find worms and grubs in the hole!! What the heck?! Thinking my AT Pro is a really good worm detector...:BangHead:

I used to get this in a couple of situations. The first obvious one was an overload signal from big, deep iron. pinpoint over the signal to get an idea of the size.

The other was when I would dig a silver coin and then dislodge it when digging. So, the coin is either moved to the side of the hole or put on edge or both. This will make the signal disappear. A pin pointer would help you a lot.

OP
OP
M

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny replies...:) DigTo China: I do use a Hefty bag to put the dirt on. Works great and it's easy to check the dirt with the machine.

Metal Magnet: It does seem that sometimes my signal travels sideways as I dig a target, thus digging an ever-widening hole..Lol Thanks for the AT Pro review on your reply. Those are great chart ID's and make me think I've mis-read LOTS of signals! I'm going to make a copy of these charts to carry with me until I get them memorized. This is probably why I'm missing so much. Thanks MinerGirl

Last edited:

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MinerGirl, I feel your pain! My land holds a old farmstead from 1880's, from which we have pulled probally 50+ pounds of iron, horse tack, junk, etc. We get those high silver tones also and when we dig there is nothing. After a lot of research and reading others post, the census is the tones come from iron pieces that have turn to rust and have mineralized and read as high silver on the at pro. So when you dig, you break up that spot and the "silver" disappears. Hope that eases the pain and frustration a bit.

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rather dig worms then ground snakes..I dug a couple of them little buggers up my last couples hunts, Harmless they are but nothing like pulling dirt out a hole and seeing one in your hand:o...better luck on your next hunt..

OP
OP
M

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KentuckyWonder: That really helps alot! Glad to have an explanation to this problem. Our family farm was established in 1830 and never has been detected as far I know. Thanks for the reply.

DigIron2: The ground snake would freak me out...Last week I was walking the field after the plows cleaned out the soybeans and they disked the soil. As I was surface hunting for potential stone tools, I picked up a few white, round "squishy" things. So glad I had gloves on as I finally realized they were snake eggs...EEEWWW at least I think they were. I'm going out tomorrow since the weather this week is in the mid 60's, no rain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread