What's new

no place ever hunted out-

aka da Prof

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
437
Reaction score
163
Golden Thread
0
Location
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no place ever 'hunted out'-

So, as the title states, I've hit this 1800 farm house hard but always come up with some thing. Recoveries so far have been an 1832 capped bust dime, key to front door (shown in photo), '54 large cent,1918 silver franc, '39 buf nickel, dimes and quarters from '44-'64, wheaties and clads. This last time the ground was soft from T.S. Lee and conditions perfect for detecting. I dug a few more wheaties, got a broken signal and up came a nice older silver and turquoise ring! As the owner walked by I asked, 'hey, Kit, does this look familiar?' She says 'O.M.G.!!! that's mothers ring!! I lost it back in high school!!! (©'early '70's) I've looked every where'!!!-- I said 'Well, look no more' and handed her a treasure lost for 40 years!!! This made both our day and felt I should share the story here.
I expect to get back (45 miles away) as often as I can and keep 'plugging away'. When something good come up, I'll post here, for as we know-- no place is ever hunted out!
p.s. This hundred acre farm had been in the same family sense 1800 till Kit's parents bought it in the 40's. I go back to help restore the house and rehearse our music there. --(Kit is an excellent fiddler)-- da Prof-
 

Attachments

  • mail.webp
    mail.webp
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,001
  • mail-2.webp
    mail-2.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,002
  • mail-1.webp
    mail-1.webp
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,007
Upvote 2
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

Very cool of you and you are correct NO place is hunted out. That is on really cool key man! WTG!
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

That key is really cool! .. Nice huntin! :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

That key may still go to something in the house. Or it could have gone to a jewelry box or a curio type cabinet that is no longer there. Or a special trunk/chest. It is a little too fancy to go to just an ordinary door. Is there an old safe in the house somewhere?

I was working through a long abandoned farm house once, and in a closet, up above and behind where your head was when you were "using" the closet, was a not too easily seen shelf. There were some papers there from the NRA (National Recovery Act of the other depression) and a few other little treasures. On top of a little trim board was a carefully hidden fancy key, sort of like yours, that I am sure went to something special. Made me wonder what happened to the person that put it there, and made me maybe a little sad for her.
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

High Plains Digger said:
That key may still go to something in the house. Or it could have gone to a jewelry box or a curio type cabinet that is no longer there. Or a special trunk/chest. It is a little too fancy to go to just an ordinary door. Is there an old safe in the house somewhere?

I was working through a long abandoned farm house once, and in a closet, up above and behind where your head was when you were "using" the closet, was a not too easily seen shelf. There were some papers there from the NRA (National Recovery Act of the other depression) and a few other little treasures. On top of a little trim board was a carefully hidden fancy key, sort of like yours, that I am sure went to something special. Made me wonder what happened to the person that put it there, and made me maybe a little sad for her.

Very decent post decent from you High Plains Digger. Your last line almost made me cry! :'(

Kudos to you Prof for returning your friends Mother's ring! :notworthy:

Dave
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

Still looking for my first old key, I've dug a lot of holes, surprised one hasn't turned up. Someday.

Agreed no place hunted "completely" out.
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

thanks for the kudos, kidos. I should mention the reason for the broken signal was that the ring was broken. I told Kit sure, it could be soldered back together. As far as the key goes, yupper, coulda gone to any thing. It did fit the front door slot, but of course the lock had been updated. The house was first built with brick, then the addition with cobble stone and then timber framed woodshed/summer kitchen, the floor of which has just been taken out!!!(still a few feet of bark and detritus to haul out to get to original dirt---oooo, I'm dyin' to get back!) Most doors are still pintle/gudgeon hinged. In the basement a large cooking fireplace. Still all plaster walls to repair ( my job) and barns and out buildings that need help as funds allow---(could be an 1802 half dime out there!!)---da Prof
p.s.-- really time to update to a better, deeper detector and a pin pointer--
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

Don't know what you swing for a detector, but a pin pointer, you'll love, guaranteed.
After having used one, I would not leave home without one. Yeah, sure you can do it by handfulls of dirt, but "NO" comparrison. You don't have to completely remove the plug, (leaving some grass roots intact), and you know in which direction to continue the dig. I have a couple of videos the demonstrate this perfectly.

Good luck out there A.K.A.
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

Beautiful turquoise ring! My fave turquoise is always those with the brown intermingled. And very beautiful that you found it and gave it to your friend so many years after its loss. HH Andi
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

nice key!!! :headbang:
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

detector used--- tried and true, the 'turn on and go' my first, 22 year old Garret Freedom One. My 20 year old 1280 X is in the shop-again (I must remember to tape the coil lead to the box this time)
any suggestions on which pin pointer I might score??
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

Great finds from that old place, looks like a lot of history to it! No place is hunted out, that is, until it's been "explored" :laughing7:
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

You can't go wrong with a Garret ProPointer......the best $130 I have ever spent!
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

Great finds and well done on the ring return. Sounds like you have a great spot. I recommend the garrett pro pointer also. And I also think this return should score you an honorable mention !
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

Nice finds :thumbsup: Your title is very true. No place is ever truly hunted out. Except of course for the bars where I go to pick-up women. Not much left. The gals tend to go for the guys with jobs & who have hair. You should see the scraps the other gents leave for me :spam4: :laughing7: :tongue3:

Excellent pulls :hello2:
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

i was trying to think of someone i know who lost a ring to see if i could find it for them after reading this but thought of no one, but a minute ago i just found my sisters gold baby ring a minute after reading this very post sitting right on the garage floor where my brother was playing.
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

you're so right
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

Nice Capped Bust Dime. This type of coin has eluded me thusfar. I do have several Classic Head LC's though.( I look at them like Capped Busts) :laughing9: Congrats...........Hogge
 
Re: no place ever 'hunted out'-

I hope I just nominated you for an honorable mention, for returning the turquoise/silver ring.

Hope you find lots more there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom