AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still a good day after yesterdays excitment!

Found some shot (all sizes) and cleaned them quickly.

Did find some weired cone shape "shot"??

About 1 1/2 inch wide and tall??

any ideas?? IMGP0501.JPG IMGP0502.JPG IMGP0500.JPG IMGP0499.JPG IMGP0497.JPG IMGP0496.JPG IMGP0495.JPG

Upvote 0

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is some cool stuff you are finding there! I believe someone once recommended soaking the cannonballs/large shot in molasses to get the salts out. There was a post once about this on another forum....drop me a PM and I'll direct you there. I'm sure someone here will also be able to direct you on proper preservation. Sounds like there's a lot of cool stuff in that area you are working--keep at it! I'd dig every possible signal at this point.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks!!

any info you can send would be great! I'd love to get them back to "new" as they'd make great decor in the house!

As for "dig every signal" - thats why I bought the SEAHUNTER 2, I knew a PI would pay off with so little trash here!!!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I'll send you a PM as soon as I have a chance regarding how an old friend of mine preserved his similar saltwater finds! Take care, Erik

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm actually pretty surprised that this thread hasn't really gotten any attention. Finding that many projectiles of that age is a pretty unusual occurence and certainly means that you are onto a good site. I hope you spend a lot more time digging signals there and showing us what you've found. It certainly seems that what ever has washed up there is certainly a lot of it!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm actually pretty surprised that this thread hasn't really gotten any attention. Finding that many projectiles of that age is a pretty unusual occurence and certainly means that you are onto a good site. I hope you spend a lot more time digging signals there and showing us what you've found. It certainly seems that what ever has washed up there is certainly a lot of it!

thanks!!

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!!! Those cone looking things are probably left overs from the molding process. Maybe they cast those cballs right there! that would explain why you found so many. You could be on a really good spot.

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just realized that you are the guy that posted the silver reale clump. You have to be on a shipwreck site. You are so lucky to have found a spot like that. Grats ;)

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still no attention to this post? Very strange.....looks like you dug 5 or 6 cannonballs there and one of them after you removed the encrustions appears to be in great shape. Please post the exact diameters and weights of each projectile there if you clean them. Get some expert advice on cleaning them before you hack the crust off as I'm not sure they will all come out as nicely as the one you cleaned up. Hopefully CannonballGuy will post here with some more information on these projectiles. I always enjoy reading his very informative posts. I'd love to know what the cone shaped items are as well. Please post what you found today including the iron nails that you mentioned.

Were you able to find the thread on the other forum I directed you to that mentions using molasses?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cones aren't "shot", they are sounding weights. They have a hole in the bottom for beach analysis. They would drop them over the side to measure water depth, and pull them up to see if sand, mud, clay, etc was stuck in the bottom.

You have a very special site there my friend!

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cones aren't "shot", they are sounding weights. They have a hole in the bottom for beach analysis. They would drop them over the side to measure water depth, and pull them up to see if sand, mud, clay, etc was stuck in the bottom.

You have a very special site there my friend!

yes, it looks like there may be hole in the bottom! Im gonna sacrifice one and scrub it and see?

will post pic if it works!!

thanks!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread