Nokta FORS Gold - First Impression

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was set to go out last Saturday for my first swinging of the FORS but again I was side tracked. My brother ended up at the Mayo Clinic is Scottsdale, Az having emergency surgery to repair some damage leftover from his 16 hour surgery nearly a year ago for throat cancer. Hopefully this Saturday 11/8/2014 I will be able to get out.

FORS1.jpg
Pictured with Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones. (Not Included)​

First Impression:

Upon opening the box that the FORS was inside revealed a very nice heavy nylon case that can be used as a backpack with individual compartments for all the MD gear, nice touch to keep everything from banging around against each other.

The Pro package came three different size coils of 15.5” x 13.3”, 11.2” x 7.0”, and 5.2” x 4.7”. The mid-size coil came with solid and open coil covers while the large coil had just the open face cover and the small coil had a solid cover as expected. To keep the small dirt, fine gold, and dust out from between the coil and covers will require taping and sealing, not a big deal as I want to have the coils removable for replacement.

Once assembled the FORS felt very well balance with the mid-size coil. To assemble the MD required two nylon bolts and thumb nuts. The user has a few choices to assemble the MD control box either forward or backwards from the pivot point of the handle this placing the forearm rest in a few different locations on the forearm.

The Philips headphone that came with the package is non-adjustable in regards to the volume. Personally I like to be able to adjust the volume on the ear cups individually to fit my needs as the human ears do not receive signals evenly. My personal choice is headphones by (Sun Ray Pro Gold). For those who are using the included headphones you need not panic as the main control box the volume level can be controlled but you cannot make volume adjustment on the left side or right side independently.

The batteries and charger are made by Varta. The batteries are 2400 Mah of which is near the max for the AA size battery. The charger is small and compact. The user has a choice to charge the batteries from a wall outlet, car outlet, portable battery, or computer with the included USB cable. The charger is a European design but the included adapter works well in the USA. This is a nice feature as I like to carry portable battery to charge my cell phone and now will be able to charge an extra set of batteries while in the field.

FORS Charger.jpg

The entire assembled FORS feels very comfortable. It’s very obvious that Nokta has placed lots of thought into the entire design and attention to details, very impressive.

Using a postal scale that has been tested at United States Postal Service I recorded the FORS Gold coils and then the entire system.

5.2”x4.7” DD coil weighed 11.5oz or 326.02g
11.2”x7.0” DD coil weighed 1lb 1.6oz or 498.95g
15.5”x13.3” DD coil weighed 1lb 10.2oz or 742.76g.

Coil 1.jpg Coil 2.jpg Coil 3.jpg

FORS Gold using the 5.2”x4.7” DD coil weighs 4.01 lbs or 1kg - 871.07g
FORS Gold using the 11.2”x7.0” DD coil weighs 4lbs 6.3oz or 1kg - 992.97g
FORS Gold using the 15.5”x13.3” DD coil weighs 4lbs 14.9oz or 2kg - 236.78g

FORS 1.jpg FORS 2.jpg FORS 3.jpg

I know these weight differs from Nokta publish weight on their website and or the manual I received of the FORS using the 11.2”x7.0” DD coil, I double checked these weights. Nokta says the FORS weigh 3.9LBS or 1.87kg and I recorded the weight at 4lbs 6.3oz or 1kg - 992.97g. This may very well be due to the manufacturing process has changed in material, but the FORS feels very light and balance.

The FORS shaft length can be adjusted a total 9.750 inches or 24.765cm in 2.125 inch or 5.3975cm increments. A nice added touch would have been to offer adjustments in 1 inch or 2.54cm increments. The lower section of the shaft is your typical nylon type plastic so not to impede with the coil.

The FORS has a 2 year warranty and the card is signed by a staff member. The manual comes in a number of languages as does the included DVD. The DVD covers the Parts & Assembly, Device Introduction, Screens & Menu, Ground Balance, Search Modes, and Field Video. Again I have to mention that Nokta has gone to great lengths in providing a quality product while the menu of the control box is straight forward to understand and use. KelleyCo who is the distributor for Nokta does handle the warranty work in house form what I read on their website. The manual I received some of the pages the info. was missing due to the cutting of the pages. This did not affect the English pages but the pages that followed the English section.

The armrest was not wide enough for my forearm, this may be something that Nokta may want to address as I had to bend the forearm rest outward to fit my forearm. What really bent was the rail that the two piece forearm bracket attaches to. Also the included nylon belt was not long enough to go over my forearm then secure to the Velcro, the belt needs to be 4 inches longer for those that have large forearms such as I do.

Sorry for the delay as I have had the FORS for a few months and had plan to put this up. Just consumed with whats been going on in my life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Things happen, that is just the way it is. Hope all works out and you can get time to use your detector. Mine should be here this weekend. Looking forward.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope all is well with your brother … And i am waiting to see how you like your Fors.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A good instructive report AzViper, thankyou very much. Will look forward to and appreciate any and all observations you will be able to make after getting some time with it under your belt. Hope you can get out on Saturday, and if so... let's cross our fingers that you can find a fat sassy nugget. Good luck Az. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish your brother a speedy recovery Keith, I know first hand the strain that cancer places on family.......It really sucks

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I got out for a few hours as I was really tired having gotten no sleep. Tough time swinging as the grass in southern Arizona is really high. Found no gold but lots of lead and a 1902 Indian Head Penny. I ran in All Metal Mode the entire time. I wondered over to Kentucky Camp to have a look around as I was MDing southwest of the old camp.

MD.jpg KC1.jpg KC2.jpg KC3.jpg

KC4.jpg KC5.jpg KC6.jpg KC7.jpg

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice Finds!

Im sure you will fall head over heals. :)
...soon enough...

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree 100% about the arm cuff and the Velcro strap.

I have to tightly snug my forearm in there and the strap has to be bound so tight just to catch.

This can be solved with a little ingenuity though.

Being aluminum you could heat them up and slightly bend them outward. I would write Nokta before doing this to make sure that it does not void the warranty.

As for the strap, we are looking at having to sew a new one that fits. Not a problem for someone that can sew but about a $20 dollar bill to have someone else do it.

I am also going to cover this in my not yet finished written review.

Otherwise, Holy cow this Machine is everything I could ever want. :)

I cant wait to see more of your hunts.

PS. I hope your brother is doing well.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Viper, my Fors was the core not the gold so sent it back. Was pm'd that the core and the gold are basically the same except the core works in salty areas like beaches. Why then would they make both? It would seem that the core would actually be a better value.

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the excellent review AzViper. The FORS is right up there with Minelab Safari on my short list for a new detector. The review really helped.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
I am impressed with the unit although can't say I have found anything of value. Only time will tell. The pin pointer is very good. Took me a little while to figure out. When using to pin point make sure you turn off when putting back into holder as the metal clip will make it sound off. It does take time to figure out the gen. mode and discrim. mode as to when to use each. I did lose the nut that holds the headphone connection, it must have been loose. Went to the hardware store and got a flat 7/16's nut that worked as I did not want to damage that. Check the tightness of any nuts , screws or bolts just to make sure. Will not be selling this. With the problems that I encountered with the purchase, everything has worked out pretty well. Now it's time to put in the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread