jewelerdave
Hero Member
- Joined
- Aug 29, 2007
- Messages
- 850
- Reaction score
- 98
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Fort Collins, Colorado
- Detector(s) used
- I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
- Primary Interest:
- Prospecting
It is very frequent when people offer me lesser amounts for my jewelry but rarely do I take but on some occasions I am willing to make rings for lesser "face value" money.
Best being a ring for a old $20 gold piece.
But this one may top it.
I was offered a part of a hord in silver for a wedding set, I said yes.
Apperently the womans grandmother didnt trust banks, and had a fruit farm somewhere in Wisconsin from the 40s onward.
Travelers would pay in bills and coins and she would save most of it.
When she died a few years ago the kids were cleaning though the house and kept finding little stashes here and there. A baby jar of silver dimes here, a roll of silver quarters there etc, A mason jar of halves, All over the house they kept finding things. Then when they lifted one of the sofas they found $1500 in silver certificates, It just kept going on and on and on.
Needless to say they have bags of cash and coins from all of this, mostly silver, some clad was stashed but not much.
Anyway they asked for a wedding ring and I made one in trade, and took payment, the bill was $1090, they asked how I wanted to be paid and they said they had coins but what were they worth.
I told them halves are worth about $5 each in silver. They said ok and gave me a bag filled with mostly walkers and some bens.
I went though and sorted them out.
160 Walkers
58 Bens
1 69 ken...I dont know how that got in there.
So I guess I made some fancy gold rings for about $109.50
A nice stash for sure to have,
I cant count them as CRH finds but I thought I would share!
Best being a ring for a old $20 gold piece.
But this one may top it.
I was offered a part of a hord in silver for a wedding set, I said yes.
Apperently the womans grandmother didnt trust banks, and had a fruit farm somewhere in Wisconsin from the 40s onward.
Travelers would pay in bills and coins and she would save most of it.
When she died a few years ago the kids were cleaning though the house and kept finding little stashes here and there. A baby jar of silver dimes here, a roll of silver quarters there etc, A mason jar of halves, All over the house they kept finding things. Then when they lifted one of the sofas they found $1500 in silver certificates, It just kept going on and on and on.
Needless to say they have bags of cash and coins from all of this, mostly silver, some clad was stashed but not much.
Anyway they asked for a wedding ring and I made one in trade, and took payment, the bill was $1090, they asked how I wanted to be paid and they said they had coins but what were they worth.
I told them halves are worth about $5 each in silver. They said ok and gave me a bag filled with mostly walkers and some bens.
I went though and sorted them out.
160 Walkers
58 Bens
1 69 ken...I dont know how that got in there.
So I guess I made some fancy gold rings for about $109.50
A nice stash for sure to have,
I cant count them as CRH finds but I thought I would share!
Ht 2007 CRH Total: 10 26 07
War Nickels – 2
Buffalo Nicks - 1
V Nickel 1 (1899)
proof Nickel - 1
Sil Dimes - 9
Sil Wash Qtrs - 0
90% Kennedy - 75
40% Kennedy - 695
Franklins - 52
Walkers - 12
Barber – 2 (1904, 1910s)
Comm. Sil Halves – 1 1992 columbus
Prf Halves – 36
of witch are Silver Proofs 12
Ikes - 42
War Nickels – 2
Buffalo Nicks - 1
V Nickel 1 (1899)
proof Nickel - 1
Sil Dimes - 9
Sil Wash Qtrs - 0
90% Kennedy - 75
40% Kennedy - 695
Franklins - 52
Walkers - 12
Barber – 2 (1904, 1910s)
Comm. Sil Halves – 1 1992 columbus
Prf Halves – 36
of witch are Silver Proofs 12
Ikes - 42
Attachments
Upvote
0








