Noob here, got a question...

Back in the '80's I had a Garret 2 box detector, and it would sure pick up things like that at really deep depths.

Years ago I worked for a company that built the right-of-way fence along interstate highways .
I have dug thousands of post holes with wooden handled post hole diggers . State specs . required
that the pull posts & the corner posts have four foot deep holes . Four foot is about the max with a
set of this type digger . Pretty deep for those diggers but not to hard to accomplish in decent soil .
As far as a detector , that will detect a mason jar lid at that depth , I don't know . I haven't had
any experience with two box detectors or other detectors that go that deep on that small of a target .
Good luck & I hope you find it . HH

Midnightrider may have given us the answer. If you follow his logic why not
add current to the wet soil such a Compass did years ago to "bring the target
within reach" of any good relic detector?

sorry for delay. thx for all the advice. ended up buying a new whites tm-808 2box and it has the meter on top.
lol i cannot believe how lite this thing is. been flooded hard here lately and a couple tornados a lil south of us. update tomorrow.

flood flood flood flood flood flood! this is ridiculous. we r gonna need scuba gear in indy to finish this mission, lmao!

clear skys for the next 3 days.

to be continued...

If you are searching for quart jars full of gold coins in saturated wet ground, unless ground is very hard clay or rock, etc., like any high specific gravity objects, gold nuggets for example, they would have continued to settle deeper until reaching something that would stop the downward settling, like a big flat rock, bedrock or hard clay layer. If it is soggy wet there much of the time, I would hate to think how deep they might have sunk. You may be out of luck with a detector because most will not detect a quart size object over about 3 feet deep or so, depending on mineralization, and gold is difficult to detect compared to copper or silver. The lid may or may not be rusted, depending if it was an old zinc type lid, but probably would not help the signal you would receive by much. A cache hunting detector with a really large round coil may detect a little deeper, but 2-box units lose depth of detection on smaller objects at greater depths. It may detect a quart jar at 4 feet, but so would a really large coil if conditions are perfect. Wet ground is also best for deeper detection for some reason, maybe better conductivity. A long probe and a lot of effort might work if there are no rocks and the soil is reasonably soft. Now that it is wet would be a great time for probing. A backhoe still might be the only solution. Good luck.

hey thx again folks for all your input. field was still soaked, but did find more junk cans etc with the 2box. i believe when it dries out (any digging still results in water filling it up) we will have to use the bobcat to shave a few feet off the ground, then rescan. but since then, ive asked permisson to hunt 2 pieces of property near my town. ive done some research and found a ghost town that has a couple standing buildings, and a couple foundations. there is a school built in 1913 and the owners are allowing us to hunt it this weekend while they r theyre. the building is being damaged by local kids over the years so i understand their concern. once they see us taking out trash we find, and covering our holes, we might get unlimited access. there is also a very old abandoned church but have to git permisssion for that one still. also found the old cemetery with google earth lol. the actual town was established round 1880 and had several businesses and saloons. the first place i got permission was a gentleman who owns 52 acres. he told me there was a safe at the edge of his property in one of the valleys. he tried once to get it open but gave up after putting a few holes in one side of it. so i headed out and sure enough there it was. gotta weigh at least 3-400lbs. its bout 2foot square with the old iron or steel spoke wheels on it. ill put up a pic after i go bak. didnt have camera with. didnt hear anythin rattle when i flipped it over. and if theres paper in there its prolly destroyed cause of the few holes (water, mice etc.). but will be fun to mess with. hopefully has seperate compartments that maybe werent punctured by holes. wishfull thinking, i know lmao. anyway thats the scoop so far. goin to town hall when it opens in 20min to see bout getting the old maps of that lil area. gonna hit the saloons first so i can find some drunken coins, burp!

certainly, im 39. and although i love to drink, what i meant bout drunken coins, was that im gonna try to find the saloons in the ghost town first, because it seems the most likely place to find a few that wouldnt be too deep.

Shouldn't the gold coins receive top priority? We are anxiously awaiting a photo
of you displaying them on this forum. If I knew they were in a 20' x 20' plot I
would be out there all day trenching until signals started showing up. Now, see
how easy it is? Good luck, supafly.

yes i hope to find them too. but i have work, and my son to support and spend time with also. and like i said, most of the area was under water. and it would be a massive mess with bobcat so close to lawn and field. so i figure, if they r still there, they aint goin no where. wont take long to dry up. so we decided to research a couple other places in the mean time.

and your age?

yes i do, and theres plenty of threads to hold u over, so take a geritol and move on.

Supafly, that safe sounds interesting. Does the guy have any idea on how it came to be on his property? That is a mystery.

no sir Ryan. he didnt get into that much detail, but i too would love to know. ill be bak there tomorrow most likely and will try to get a lil more info on it. ill also have my camera with me so when i git bak ill upload it.
i hope he says, "u can take that hunk o junk outta there if u like". lol would be a bear to git up the valley but ill git it done if that miracle statement came true.

Years ago Garrett made a cash hunting detector it was the large coil master hunter. That is what you should have for the job! For each type of detecting you need a special type of detector. One for deep treasure, one for coin hunting, one for gold, etc. I have about eight detecters all different. Also remember there is a T.R. and a B.F.O. To end the rant, I would go with any detector with a large coil. But two box systems are sometimes hard to use. GOOD LUCK! and HAPPY HUNTING! Jim B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back