Possible cache need expert help

Sky_Warrior

Apr 23, 2008
Auburn Hills MI
Detector(s) used
MY ACE 250 JUST GOT HERE 5/07/08, also used a fisher 1220-x
Ok I have a house built some time in late 50's or 60's. Off my back door once you step down.... about a foot down concrete.... whats weird is my house is built on concrete slab about 1 foot I think. and this is 1 foot under the ground and my house is 1 foot above the ground. Well my ace 250 says its a penny or dime....the whole thing it bounces between the two. I know that the concrete goes at least 5 square foot area. Well im not even sure if it is a cache but I don't think if it was reinforced concrete like re-bar it would come up as iron. Which also comes up but I discriminate it out. Well I'm gonna try to do some online research please help if yah can.

I am NOT an expert, but I AM opinionated. ;D
First, your description is a little bit disjointed. Are you saying there is a concrete pad, just outside your back door that is buried about 1 foot deep? Is your house built OVER a concrete pad using concrete foundation walls? (that would mean you have a concrete floored crawspace.) The foundation wall (or piers) will have footings that are twice as wide as the wall is thick and will be deeper that the frost level in your area. I see you're in Michigan. Your frost level will be at least 1 foot deep. Are the coin responses just in an occasional spot? or are they real regular and spaced even?

If there is only one or two coin response places, they may be "lucky coins"; put there when the house was built as good luck charms. If so, there is probably a matching spot out of your front door.

Mr. Carl Sandberg defined an expert as "a fool who's a long way from home." Therefore, I never ask for "expert" help----just educated opinions. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :coffee2:

lol good way to say it lol man i love cache hunting

real regular and spaced every few inches or so and when i dug down to it it maybe my pinpointer (sunray) go crazy with beeps

Maybe the coins were dropped from someone's pocket when the concrete was being poured.

Cache Crazy said:
Maybe the coins were dropped from someone's pocket when the concrete was being poured.

thats a long shot but maybe

When re-bar is used, it is spaced evenly and in parallel positions. Then more is laid crosswise at about 90 degrees to the first runs. Lastly, the pieces are "tied" together at the points they cross with heavy gauge wire pieces. The re-bar is made of low quality "pig iron" and the wire material is steel. I suspect that your pinpointer doesn't know how to handle the combination of signals. Same thing for your detector.

If someone was hiding coins in the concrete, I believe they would just clump them together and not space single coins evenly across the pad. That would mean a whole lot of extra work for them, in their future, when they recovered the money. Let's face it. Nobody would bury money / valuables without planning to recover them at some later date. No one would bury a bunch of coins with the idea of NEVER recovering them themselves. Treasure caches are the result of someone hiding something, then being prevented from ever recovering it; usually by being dead.

Normally, the cache will be put into a hole in the ground, as you would a footing, in an area of the pad known only to the person doing the hiding. Then, when pouring the pad, the area over the cache would be an thinner area of concrete. Faster to hide; faster to recover.

My best guestimate is rebar or wire mesh.

They also use welded wire mesh to put in Concrete to add stabilization - dunno if they used it in the 50's or 60's though (I wasn't around then). It usually has around 6" square holes. Rebar is usually spaced at a minimum of equal to the slab's thickness and at a maximum of 3 times the slab's thickness. It boils down to being based on local codes though. There again, we're back to the 50's and 60's.

my house isnt on a septic tank now but we moved in about 15 years after it was built so idk

a bouncing signal is not indicitive of a good target and beneath a concrete slab would make it extremely difficult to recover a cache don't ya think. i say it's the rebar

re-bar is made from scrap metal so you may get all kinds of signals from one piece of re-bar they also use a 6by6 mesh wire that can give iffy signals but good luck either way

First off, concrete slabs for floors are usually 4" thick. Under the perimeter of the slab and under interior bearing walls are what is known as footers or footings. These are usually 2' in from the perimeter and 2' deep. The slab probably has 4" x 4" sq. wire mesh.
What you are probably picking up is a piece of discarded copper from the plumbing installation, although I have placed pennies of current date in block work that I was setting and placed pennies in sidewalks that I was finishing. If I were you, I would not mess up my property in an effort to recover them. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back