Noobie to Coin roll hunting

Luckdragon987

Greenie
Feb 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Guys,

Just got my start yesterday so I am a complete noob at this stuff. Got online and discovered it about a week ago while looking for silver to buy for investment. And that is all I know ... pre-1965 silver coins, lol. Well it has sparked my interest and I am now sitting in front of my first haul. 1 box of quarters, 1 box of dimes, 2 boxes nickels, and 2 boxes pennys. Bank didn't have many halves. I Bought all they had and came up with 4 1965-1970 40% ones, talk about beginners luck. I have loved reading the posts about everyones finds here and am excited to make my own finds, as are my wife and 2 girls. Wish us luck.

Upvote 0

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby addiction. Good luck spitting out the hook.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the addiction!!
Now to find dump banks ;D
Remember dont dump where you buy.
and
Good Luck hunting

OP
OP
L

Luckdragon987

Greenie
Feb 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
ya ... already got a dump bank and trying to find one with coin machine ... no luck with that yet.

lovelylea

Oct 3, 2011
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! I opened an account at another bank for $25.00 , I never use except for dumping! That is the easiest way if your current bank doesnt have any coin counter's..

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Luckdragon987 said:
Hello Guys,

Just got my start yesterday so I am a complete noob at this stuff. Got online and discovered it about a week ago while looking for silver to buy for investment. And that is all I know ... pre-1965 silver coins, lol. Well it has sparked my interest and I am now sitting in front of my first haul. 1 box of quarters, 1 box of dimes, 2 boxes nickels, and 2 boxes pennys. Bank didn't have many halves. I Bought all they had and came up with 4 1965-1970 40% ones, talk about beginners luck. I have loved reading the posts about everyones finds here and am excited to make my own finds, as are my wife and 2 girls. Wish us luck.

Only halves from 65-70,1776-1976 bicen S mint silver halves, Are 40% silver. They made no dimes,quarters,or nickels out of 40% silver. They did make some war nickels out of 35% silver though, Late 42-45.

OP
OP
L

Luckdragon987

Greenie
Feb 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
no .. found 4 40% halves ... also found 1 1963 dime in the dimes ... done with those ... done with 1 box of nickels ... wife found a 1942-S nickel... yay.

OP
OP
L

Luckdragon987

Greenie
Feb 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
well so far for the day. 4 40% halves, 1 1952 quarter, 1 1963 dime, and 1 1942 nickels. pretty good haul i think.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
You are off to a good start for sure. It adds up over time.

Of course, there is no 12 step program I'm aware of to quit. I've been hooked for 10+ years now. When I can't get coins for a couple of days I get the shakes...

Welcome to the addiction.

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
ImpurestStewart said:
Luckdragon987 said:
Hello Guys,

Only halves from 65-70,1776-1976 bicen S mint silver halves, Are 40% silver. They made no dimes,quarters,or nickels out of 40% silver. They did make some war nickels out of 35% silver though, Late 42-45.

Hardly worth mentioning, but there was a 1976 bicentennial 40% silver quarter. Never encountered one in the wild.

Also educate yourself about silver proofs and commemoratives minted since 1992 and the 1982 GWC silver 90%...if you're lucky you might run across these from time to time.

Read the introduction to CRH pinned to the top of the posts...it's worth the time. Enjoy any beginner's luck you may have if you are in virgin territory...it gets a lot harder once you've harvested the low hanging fruit.

HH,
CD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions