Noobs first coin found with Garrett Groundhog

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Noob's first coin found with Garrett Groundhog

I've been fiddling with a Wild Planet detector ($5 at a garage sale), and finding bits of foil, rusty nails and old screws galore. When I was researching that "bronze object found at the Grand Canyon", I found TreasureNet, and the bug bit me. So I bought an old Garrett Groundhog and found a penny in my backyard the same night within 15 minutes, about an inch or two underground. Wait for it......1979-D.

I don't even really know how to use this detector yet, but I am stoked to have it, have downloaded the manual, and hope to post some more stuff soon.

Attachments

• Garrett Groundhog1.jpg
    Garrett Groundhog1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 938
  • Garrett Groundhog2.jpg
    Garrett Groundhog2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 834
  • Penny 1979-D.jpg
    Penny 1979-D.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 829
Upvote 0
Re: Noob's first coin found with Garrett Groundhog

Congrats on the bug bite! Er, Penny!!! Welcome to treasure net. If you need help or advice, this is the place! Makes sue when you venture out beyond your own yard that you know the rules, laws, etc of where you hunt. You do not want an unexpected run in with Johnny Law. Good luck to you, and may you find many more coins soon,
Anthony

Wow, I had that exact machine back around 1979 or 80. If I recall it was called an American S1 or something like that. I think the coil on your machine is off of an actual Groundhog model. The Groundhog was a step above the S1. The S1 was a great machine and certainly started me off on the right foot.

Welcome to this great hobby. You've come to the right forum. You'll find the finest and friendliest people here who will be eager to advise and help you get going....

Good luck !!!

Brian

That's the way, just get out and get in there!! Good luck, and look forward to seeing more finds!
HH
Baggins

jsandin,

welcome. ;D

Neat older detector;
hope you find a bunch.

Nice cat. :wink: ;D

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

Looks like the cat is checking out the coil, maybe he can help you dig some of your coins!

So glad to have another addict here and looking forward to many more finds from you!!

Attachments

• welcome01.gif
    welcome01.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 781
  • welcome01.gif
    welcome01.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 762

Welcome to Tnet jsandin :thumbsup:
I'm looking forward to seeing all your finds.
I think the cat is reading the writing ;D
Cheers, Mike

Congrats on your new machine and your recent finds. This forum is a great place with great people and a wealth of knowledge. There is nothing but help and information here.

Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

welcome to tnet, one of our other forum posters boobie doo uses a old ground hog and does exceptionally well with it. take your time learn your machine and practice practice practice. we look forward to seeing some finds from you in the future
hh
dave+bobbie

Welcome from the UK.

I had a similar detector, years ago.

I had a newer version of that Groundhog machine when i was around 11 years old. That sucker found me alot of silver when we lived in military housing in San Diego

Welcome aboard, now quit reading all the replys & get out there & detect! :icon_jokercolor:

CONGRATS on your new bug bite , ;D WTG on your frist coin.... :thumbsup: And welcome to TREASUERNET . Hope too see much more of your finds too come :wink:

LEARN TO READ THE NEEDLE ON THE MACHINE. AND SOUNDS. I STILL USE ONE LIKE THAT TODAY. IT IS GREAT IF YOU DON'T DISCRIMNATE. JUST MOVE THE MACHINE SLOW. BEST OF LUCK.

I bought one of those new back around 1980 and that machine was a real good nickel and gold finder. It looks brand new. Must have been stored for all of those years. You got quite a good deal. i think I paid around $400.00 for mine new.

DANGLANGLEY

Welcome to the site. I hope we can help you anyway possible. If you need anything feel free to contact me. Now go dig a plug :thumbsup:

Cool Detector!

Best wishes to you, and WELCOME TO TNET. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Buckleboy

The Groundhog manual didn't match up with my device, so I looked more closely, and it's a Garrett American S2 with a Groundhog coil, as peanut695 indicated. I have the manual for that one now.

In my newbie eagerness, I have found numerous garden-related metal items, scraps of aluminum gutter from an installation, and a big thick piece of rusty steel strap about 5 inches deep in the yard. I'll spare you the photos. It's muddy out there. I didn't realize how dirty one can get doing this.

It's fun, and I hope to do more when it's a little less soggy and snowy out there. Thanks guys for the encouragement.

Welcome to TNET and hope you post some nice finds soon before the ground freezes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back