What's new

Norman enameled gold plated mount. One of my favorite finds.

Dr.Tones

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2013
Messages
479
Reaction score
1,300
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had the best experience in England and this day is one I'll never forget. This Norman mount has been turned in (along with all of our other finds) and we are anxiously awaiting word back from the museum. What do you think it is?


 
Last edited:
Upvote 14
WOW that's awesome :thumbsup: great finds Dr. Tones congrats !
 
Definitely a National Treasure!!
11th century is old enough, isn't it?! :laughing7:
GREAT find!
 
Ai_awesome6.webp
 
Nice! Congrats!

Maybe a Cape closure broach? :dontknow:
 
That's a remarkable find! I hope I'm lucky enough to find some good things when I head over there. Looks like Roy and the boys have some great locations. Can't wait to see what the museum says on your find.
 
That's a real special find Dr. T. :notworthy:
 
At first I thought it was a late Anglo-Saxon period Cloisonne brooch/mount (imported from France by the Vikings) but on further reflection, I'm pretty sure the below is correct.

13th C Limoges Enameled Medallion.

My reasons are this;
In the 13th-14th C you see far more use of enamel in combination with gold gilt.
It has a cross symbol common in this period of Limoges export.
IMPORTANT BIT: It has a 2 piece construction, the medallion that you have & the lost outer ring which held the fixing holes.

See my 2 piece construction of a similar period piece & read carefully the below link:
Like with many mounts they are guessing on its true function but box or horse are the most likely.
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/137694
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    121.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    93.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
PS. As these are rare finds & only referenced in some obscure books/leaflets it will take the right person to ID it, those people are few & far between in the FLO/Museum world. Fingers crossed that it gets a proper ID, if it comes back Norman then they haven't done their homework.
Here are the references:
'W. de C. Prideaux, 1911 'Notes on Medieval Enamelled Armorial Horse Trappings with especial Reference to a Weymouth Find' in Proceedings of the Dorset Field Club 32, 226-38; Anon. 1921 'Harlech Castle: A Recent Find' in Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, 70; and the discussion in G. Egan ,1991 'Circular-composite armorial mounts' in G. Egan and F. Pritchard, Dress Accessories c.1150-c.1450 ,181-4.'
 
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...man-site-day-4-limoges-alter-cross-mount.html

Above is another piece of the same period as yours & made in Limoges France. All the enamel & gilt is missing but it has a Winged Ox on it which your piece may have as well. I noticed a lot of the gilt detail is missing but I'm pretty sure I can see a 'wing'. Of course this could be an angel or eagle but either way its more hinting that its 13th C.
 
Last edited:
I DEFINATELY saw a wing! In fact I actually mention it in the video I think?
 
Thanks for all your help Crusader! I really appreciate the thought and knowledge you've put into this for everyone!
 
Stunning find - if i found something like that i would keel over dead from excitement!!!!
 
Thanks for all your help Crusader! I really appreciate the thought and knowledge you've put into this for everyone!

No worries, its still only one opinion, but like I say being so rare (even as a 13th C piece) it will be hard to find the right person!
 
Odd piece. Can't wait to hear what it is.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom