Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this stone DSCF0416.JPG DSCF0417.JPG DSCF0418.JPG DSCF0419.JPG DSCF0420.JPG while out metal detecting today 5/9/21.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say a nutting stone possibly, or fire, it's a nice one for sure.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say natural. Looks like a type of glacial erratic greywacke from which a spherical concretion has eroded, That doesn't preclude it having seen use for something, but you you would need context (?) or use-wear (I don't see it) for that. Known as an 'Omarolluk' or 'Omar for short':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omarolluk

Edit: Post crossed with TH.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say natural. Looks like a type of glacial erratic greywacke from which a spherical concretion has eroded, That doesn't preclude it having seen use for something, but you you would need context (?) or use-wear (I don't see it) for that. Known as an 'Omarolluk' or 'Omar for short':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omarolluk

Edit: Post crossed with TH.

We were posting at same time same conclusion. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another Omar I suspect.

I showed the larger stone to a native American and her words were a nutting stone.
And type in Indian fire stone on ebay and someone has one for $80.00 plus shipping.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I showed the larger stone to a native American and her words were a nutting stone.
And type in Indian fire stone on ebay and someone has one for $80.00 plus shipping.

Ebay is full of fake artifacts, lots of "portable" art sold also.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From link you posted compare yours to the cupstone.
220px-OmarPen.png
Omar

page1-220px-NutterPen759.pdf.jpg
Cupstone

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think about the concavity of the depression, if it seems to have a shelf. I’m trying to figure out the grinding tool that created the opening and did the shaping and pecking for this possible tool. The base being flat and textured like perhaps it was pecked is something the piece has going for it on the side of being an artifact. I’d have to clearly see the interior of the cup to try and determine wether it’s erosion and shaping over time or if it was developed by a tool.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is natural. I have found hundreds of nutting/fire starters. That is not one. Cool though

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roger, Ebay is full of natural rocks people try to sell as artifacts, also lots of modern knapped points sold as authentic, ancient Indian artifacts and they are not. Many members here who have collected artifacts for decades can vouch for that. I personally would not buy artifacts from ebay, there use to be a lots of genuine artifacts on ebay but that was over 25 years ago, there are some authentic points on EBay but there are a LOT of fake artifacts there.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dozens of sellers on ebay have nothing but perfect points for sale. Dovetails, Clovis, Hardins,
Simpson Moustaches and the list goes on. All G-10's and all supposedly authentic. Dead giveaway is a Baker COA. What a crock. It takes years of collecting to get that many perfect points and no ones going to sell them "starting with no reserve". All fakes.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve seen people selling large chunks of rock that look nothing like any stone tools for stupid amounts of money.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1620650071.639497.jpg
I hope nobody buys them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread