Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Headed up to Winona Mn. Been piloting boats for over 40 years and looking to retire next year! I'll sure miss the sun rises and sun sets!
20220418_190858.jpg

OP
OP
Oldrvrrat57

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My main route is between Cairo IL. and St Paul Mn. from spring to fall. Then I run the Illinois and Ohio rivers in the winter months
Nice! Love that Mighty Mississippi! Ever work on the Lower.around Clarksdale,MS or Big Island? That,s where the White and Arkansas join the Miss.Enjoy your retirement!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main route is between Cairo IL. and St Paul Mn. from spring to fall. Then I run the Illinois and Ohio rivers in the winter months
Just wondered. I,ve spent a lot of time on the Miss. between the mouth of the White and Arkansas.She,s a big river there! My wife is from Cape Girardeau!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever since I was a little tike I've had this fascination of the great Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio Rivers and the history that runs all up and down them. So many stories from the time of the mysterious mound builders to the great cities of New Orleans and gateway to the west at Saint Louis. Last year I flew high above a good stretch of the lower Mississippi from New Orleans to Baton Rouge. I thought about you folks down there below running those barges slowly up and down the river and wished I was one of you like I did when I was a kid.

Attachments

• 20210329_152248.jpg
    20210329_152248.jpg
    955.2 KB · Views: 18

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sad to me the US largely abandoned rail and barge, the most efficient forms of goods transportation. Fuel became cheap and trucks convenient so we let them decay and even ceded back much of the rail line properties and let our lock and dam systems decay, making it even harder for us to bring back rail and river trans. as will be necessitated in the coming centuries as fossil fuels dwindle.

barge.jpg

Sputnik57

Feb 17, 2022
N.E. WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed up to Winona Mn. Been piloting boats for over 40 years and looking to retire next year! I'll sure miss the sun rises and sun sets!
View attachment 2021697
Congratulations! I was a charter captain on Lake Michigan during the late 70's and 80's. I still miss the sunrises, the smell of the water, and even the smell of the fuel as it drifted away across the water, I guess I always will. Good luck hunting! Keep your back to the Sun, nose in the wind, ears cupped backward, and remember God is always present.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about the dwindling of fossil fuels as some say it's a lot of wishful thinking and with the ever increasing demand for just about more of everything you can think about, replacing fossil fuels with alternatives just isn't gonna keep up with that demand so many crave. I saw a show from Germany and they said the demand for coal will be at an increase by 30% by 2050. This crisis so many are thinking about is all like the idea of colonizing Mars and all we can do about it is dream about how it can be done imo.

OP
OP
Oldrvrrat57

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's sad to me the US largely abandoned rail and barge, the most efficient forms of goods transportation. Fuel became cheap and trucks convenient so we let them decay and even ceded back much of the rail line properties and let our lock and dam systems decay, making it even harder for us to bring back rail and river trans. as will be necessitated in the coming centuries as fossil fuels dwindle.

View attachment 2022273
I have over the course of 41 years piloting boats on the inland River system have watched the deterioration of the river system! At one time we were able to deliver 15 loaded barges into St Paul and are now reduced to 9 and sometimes 12 if river conditions permit! Due to the lack of channel maintenance! SAD!!!

OP
OP
Oldrvrrat57

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations! I was a charter captain on Lake Michigan during the late 70's and 80's. I still miss the sunrises, the smell of the water, and even the smell of the fuel as it drifted away across the water, I guess I always will. Good luck hunting! Keep your back to the Sun, nose in the wind, ears cupped backward, and remember God is always present.
I know that God is for sure always with me! He has answered my prayers so many times over the years! Going home next week and will be swinging that coil!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread