Not much luck finding relics but I did find a casket.

boarman1

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was visiting a family friends property that once was a hospital in the civil war. The house was built in 1850 by master carpenters from Virginia. THere was two barns on the property and one of them had fell in but in this old barn was a casket but the barn is gone and only the casket is to be found. When I walked up on this I was shocked. I thought did someone come to the cemetary on the property and dig this up. But I talked to the owner of the property and he said it was in the barn back in the 1940s . He said it was olive green back then but Man it was kinda creepy but I had to look it over. People from all over has visited this property and so i never did find anything while using the metal detector. The ground was so hard I almost broke a shovel trying to dig when I did come across something. I plan to go back soon but wanted to share some pictures. I have no idea how old this is but would really like to learn . I know the owner would let me have it if I wanted it but Its to creepy to keep something like this. I would rather leave it in the woods. The house in in North Ga and the union came in and took over the place when sherman came through. There are several rooms in the house that has not had one thing done to it since the day union took over. The house is incredible. 14ft ceilings and two stories tall and its what you would expect a house to be back then. The union came in and busted out the ceilings in several of the rooms . They thought by doing this the rooms would be cooler in the summer months and there are signatures all over the walls. My friend still has original furniture from the house and the craftsman ship it priceless. There is a lot more to the house I didnt mention but I wanted to share a few pictures of what I found on the property.

2012-06-09_12-35-01_766.jpg 2012-06-09_12-35-33_621.jpg 2012-06-09_12-34-26_43.jpg

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a really cool find creepy but cool:weee:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is tha a name on the tag? Sam Chain?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting. Was a time some folks liked having a coffin ready,seems most kept under beds though. The old sloped at shoulder style ,elaborate with batting and dark fabric. Sounds like site a great slice of history. Craftmanship alone a treat!.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that's actually a casket. It's far too sturdily built for that. I'd guess it's more like a heavy duty tool box of some sort. It's a pretty cool box, and I'd be tempted to pull it out and restore it.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I don't think that's actually a casket. It's far too sturdily built for that. I'd guess it's more like a heavy duty tool box of some sort. It's a pretty cool box, and I'd be tempted to pull it out and restore it."

That was my first thought as well. Hey look, it has a head rest :laughing7:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could very well be a case for an Army issue chain saw from around WW2..... Some of them were pretty big.

Here'e a photo I just found, It's a WW2 pneumatic chainsaw, it's called a Reed Prentice Timberhog, looks like it would fit quite nicely in that box with it's accessories. They were issued to engineers and SeaBees, during the war and you needed a truck mounted compressor to run them.

timberhogbsmall.jpg

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: a coffin would have 6 handles, 3 each side.
would have been a cool keeper if it was though.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking for a while I notice that there are a lot of collectors out there who love those old saws. I'd bet even in rough condition there's someone who'd love to have that box. If I had found it, I think I'd post it on some chainsaw collectors forums and see about finding it a home rather than letting it just rot in the woods.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea, yea, the box is nice, but I would love to see pictures of the house with and the writing on the walls.:headbang:

OP
OP
B

boarman1

May 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The owner did tell me it was painted olive green color but he said he thought it was a casket so thats why I called it that. the orange thing in there is a pillow or looks like one. I will say it is over 6ft long if that matters. . . There is a grave yard with soldiers in it and a entire family less than 50 yards from this. . I think one was a women soilder and she died in her 20's . The house was built in 1850 and yes the names on the walls are cool .there is one generals name on the door. He also had a bit or mouth piece from a horse rein that was left in the house from a Virginia Soldiers unit. I dont think anyone has looked in the woods for relics but mainly in the garden area so I would like to go back and hit the woods. The area is know for nasty Rattle snakes and the grass it 4ft tall and thick of briars so Im not risking going through it right now but maybe in the fall.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread