Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out over the weekend to a new spot where an old house once stood. Wasn't there long before a guy showed up that had already detected the place. He said he had found a barber dime and some flat buttons, but lots of others had also hunted here. Just what I wanted to hear! As he was walking along with me I got a signal, dug a plug, and said...Oh, looky here! It was a large cent IN DA HOLE!
LC in Dirt.jpeg

Of course, they almost always look better in the hole than they do out :laughing7:
Just Dug LC.jpg

We chatted about metal detecting for a good while as he watched me dig junk. Almost all the good targets had been harvested from this spot. After digging a suspender clip, a button, a spoon piece and the LC in about 3 hours, I finally gave up. I dug an 1887 IHP and a 1910 Lincoln at another spot.
All - F.jpg All - B.jpg

I think it's gonna be a long DRY summer in more ways than one....

Upvote 16

sylvia40

Nov 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I live a large cent would be the find of a lifetime, just for some perspective.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I would rather have someone drop by and let me know they have already pounded a spot vs wondering if someone had already pounded a site. A LC day is always a successful hunt, especially since it was already hit. Congrats

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here that would be a dream hunt :laughing7: Great finds!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live a large cent would be the find of a lifetime, just for some perspective.
Thanks Sylvia.
When I got my first metal detector I was living in Dallas, Texas. I came home to visit my parents over Christmas and my goal was to find a Large Cent. I lent the detector to my brother and he went around town for a few hours and darn if he didn't come back with a Large Cent. It took me a couple more years before I got one.
I guess I would rather have someone drop by and let me know they have already pounded a spot vs wondering if someone had already pounded a site. A LC day is always a successful hunt, especially since it was already hit. Congrats
Thanks Thad. True, the LC saved the day. The guy said this house was on the 1858 atlas, which is the kiss of death anymore. Sometimes I like the challenge of hunting a place that has been hit before.

Great finds !
Thank you.
Around here that would be a dream hunt :laughing7: Great finds!
Thanks. When I found the large cent right off the bat, my expectations soared, only to drop at a slow, steady rate from there :laughing7:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve , you must set the bar pretty high ! I'd be
jacked finding the Largie and the IHP ( though I know y'all PA diggers find IHP's almost every time
out )

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be very happy with a day like that. Nice finds. Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! :icon_thumleft: Not happy about the lack of rain. I had to tell a few of my clients that I cannot/will not dig in these conditions; many have pristine lawns. :BangHead:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve , you must set the bar pretty high ! I'd be
jacked finding the Largie and the IHP ( though I know y'all PA diggers find IHP's almost every time
out )
Thanks Argent. Large Cents are always a thrill. IHPs not so much anymore :laughing7:
I'd be very happy with a day like that. Nice finds. Congrats!
Thanks Lenmac. Hopefully you have an even better day soon :thumbsup:

Nice finds! :icon_thumleft: Not happy about the lack of rain. I had to tell a few of my clients that I cannot/will not dig in these conditions; many have pristine lawns. :BangHead:
Thanks Prof. Lawn digging is out of the question this time of year unless you have had several days of soaking rain. Hayfields, cow pastures, and woods are about the only options now.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread