What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Not much to work with...

mabev67

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2025
Messages
36
Reaction score
252
Golden Thread
0
...but I've had these forums do amazing things so I'm posting a couple items with not much left to help identify in hopes that someone might have some ideas about these older cans. No real way to estimate sizes accurately either sadly. They were found around old mining camp sites that have seen other items dating primarily 1900-1940's
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251004_181545217.webp
    PXL_20251004_181545217.webp
    945 KB · Views: 166
  • PXL_20251004_181535743.webp
    PXL_20251004_181535743.webp
    771.2 KB · Views: 140
I see what looks like a chicken an N and Y'S
 
Upvote 0
My question is, why do you care? Not to be an ass, but unless you’re trying to date a site (via those cans), I don’t see the purpose.
 
Upvote 0
My question is, why do you care? Not to be an ass, but unless you’re trying to date a site (via those cans), I don’t see the purpose.
Yep, just dating the sites we investigate. It's just part of the fun for me. It may be just a rusty old lard can but it meant something to someone at some time, helps me kinda connect with history to know something about the stuff that made up their day to day lives...that's all.
 
Upvote 0
...but I've had these forums do amazing things so I'm posting a couple items with not much left to help identify in hopes that someone might have some ideas about these older cans. No real way to estimate sizes accurately either sadly. They were found around old mining camp sites that have seen other items dating primarily 1900-1940's
Soak the tin in a rust removal process.
Might be able to highlight more of the picture.
 
Upvote 0
Second can I’m seeing maybe the same label on each side to the right looks like starts with an M to the left I see a Y’S… so M——Y’S?
Agreed, it appears to be the same logo on both sides, starts with an "M" and ends in "ey's". I can't make out the letter to the left of the "e", but it's tall, so t, l, or k, or something like that. I tried searching "Mickey's" but that just brings up lots of pictures of a cartoon mouse...

The other can, I can see lots of letters on the back, but not enough to make anything out. One word looks like "broth" or maybe "brush", but can't really tell through the rust.
 
Upvote 0
My question is, why do you care? Not to be an ass, but unless you’re trying to date a site (via those cans), I don’t see the purpose.
I care about identifying old cans as well, fun part of the hobby I think.
 
Upvote 0
...but I've had these forums do amazing things so I'm posting a couple items with not much left to help identify in hopes that someone might have some ideas about these older cans. No real way to estimate sizes accurately either sadly. They were found around old mining camp sites that have seen other items dating primarily 1900-1940's
This might sound crazy… I remember this yellow and blue plaid can as one my dad used for oil. Mobiloil. I did a google image search on the small piece and found the attached google AI description of it. HOWEVER… my normally amazing google-foo can’t find a single image of it. Which leads me to the crazy part. What if this is another Mandela affect? I distinctly remember the can from somewhere around 65-70 ish. I also remember it being Mobil Oil and not Mobiloil. So… do with that what you will! Mid century in another dimension? 🤪
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3105.webp
    IMG_3105.webp
    180.1 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom