What's new

Not my normal -but a STUNNING find to me . . . TWO treasures within a treasure

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
2,857
Golden Thread
2
Location
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this daguerreotype picture (At least, I think that's what it is) in an antique store for $2. Yep, two bucks. I was thinking about how if his descendants knew this picture existed, it would be priceless to them. So I bought it, just to have it.

DSCN2232.webp

I got home and took the photo out of the frame, you know . . . just 'cause you HAVE to check . . . And there was a date, and a verse. Also some paper was stuck in the frame.

DSCN2233.webp

The date blew me away, because the civil war is my thing. That's my area of interest. June 7, 1862.

On that day, James Andrews was executed in Atlanta in connection with his role in the Great Locomotive chase. Also on that day, Benjamin Butler has William Mumford executed for tearing the Union flag from the mint in New Orleans. And hundreds of miles away, Union forces were shelling Chattanooga from the North side of the Tennessee river. And also on that day, perhaps on the porch of some long-forgotten plantation, someone wrote the verse which I was now reading - probably the first one to even SEE that handwriting in a very long time.

I finally was able to make out the verse. And I quote (written in cursive very faded) . . .

"The shadows caught,
the features clear.
And all but naught,
when substance near."

The verse struck me as a person looking at a picture, missing the person IN the picture. Lamenting that yes, while the shadows were "caught", frozen in the photo, and yes, the features of the loved one were clear. But oh, if that person were here with me today, standing here in "substance", this photo would be nothing to me. "All but naught." of course, that's just my interpretation.

Of course, there was also the scrap of paper. I carefully removed it, and the image stopped me in my tracks. It was a little girl. Since it was a paper photo, obviously from many years after the original portrait was made.

DSCN2234.webp

It may be just my imagination, but I feel like I can see a family likeness. Perhaps this was this man's daughter, or even grand-daughter many years later. I'll never know. Whether this man was a civil war soldier or not will likewise never be known. But given the date, and his apparent age - and the verse . . . longing to see him again . . . I'd say it's a very good bet.

All in all, the verse and the little girl are two treasures WITHIN a treasure to me. I wouldn't part with it now for many, many times the little token I paid for it.
 
Upvote 72
That's a great treasure for sure!!!
A few months ago I bought a lot of old pics...my research then led me to the family after the last pic taken 50 yrs ago...
Nothing like your find though....vey cool.
 
Incredible buy for $2 and sweet treasure within. Would love to pick one of those up. It'd be awesome to get one of those of a soldier in uniform, but they're so expensive.
 
Great buy and Excellent save, I will have to admit when I first seen the portrait and not the date I thought it was Robert (Bob) Ford.
 
Crazy someones framed photo was in an antique store. I wonder how the person or family decided to let it go. The frame itself is worth two dollars, much less the bonus that came with it. Great find!
 
Really like your find and your posting, thanks for sharing. The white silhouette is obviously a cut out picture of the little girl but when I first looked at it in just the white, it looked like a old lady sitting down.
 
Wow! That is one of the coolest finds I have seen on here in a while. Non dug but very cool all the same.
 
Love it! I'm always hitting antique/thrift stores, especially when the snow is covering the ground and would jump all over a deal like that! Great save and the story that goes with it.
 
Wow ! I'm so glad that relic found you ! Great find !
 
Great find!!! I love old images, but I believe you have a tin type, not a daguerreotype. If the image is reflective like a mirror then it is a dag. If when you hold it to the light, you see it's made on glass, then it is an ambrotype. If it's on metal, and not shiny then it's a tin type! Most civil war images are tins or ambrotypes.

Super great buy at 2 bucks!
 
Very cool find with the poem and extra photo, which is most likely a cutout albumen photo that was also popular in the civil war era as well.
 
Great find!!! I love old images, but I believe you have a tin type, not a daguerreotype. If the image is reflective like a mirror then it is a dag. If when you hold it to the light, you see it's made on glass, then it is an ambrotype. If it's on metal, and not shiny then it's a tin type! Most civil war images are tins or ambrotypes.

Super great buy at 2 bucks!

Thanks for the education, man. I know nothing about images. This is on a thick piece of glass.
 
Very cool find with the poem and extra photo, which is most likely a cutout albumen photo that was also popular in the civil war era as well.

Really?! I didn't know paper photos existed that far back! I'm really learning some stuff!
 
Not your normal post PW, but I really like it. I have bought old photo albums in antiques stores. I can't believe some people have no family pride or interest in their ancestors. I would not think 10x your price was too much. Great post!
 
Really great find, especially for $2!

aj
 
Great find. Wd.

I have to ask... Have you checked the edges of that frame ? any marks ?
Double and triple check.
Letme know what if any you find.

Looks like 8k-9k to me. :)
 
That's awesome. I'm a CW nut as well. Was a Confederate Re-enactor (Co F, 12Th Reg G.V. I."Davis Guards", Doles-Cooke Brigade, Rhodes Div, 2nd Corp, ANV), for 12yrs before kids, LOL!

My impression is that the pic of the girl is from about the same time as the tin type, based on her dress. Was probably from a CDV. Thanks for preserving the man's thoughts at a time of great upheaval in the US for eternity. Oh if we could only know of the outcome.

I have one of my G-G-Grandparents. There should be a makers mark on the side edges, as the one I have does.
 
Incredible find and story behind it-thanks for sharing this.
 
What a great post & Cool Find

Reading the Post was Very Uplifting. It really makes one wonder 'the history of those people'.

P.S. Your post is very Elegant & You have a way with words.
IMO The Lord led you to that one, as I said the Story is Uplifting & You got a Whole lotta "Likes".
Also IMO The Little Girl & the Young Man in the Photo Have the same mouth . (Likely Related).
A small Treasure in this Big Crazy World.

Have a Happy 2016 W/ Many Blessings & Historic Finds.
Davers
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom