Not possible digging that deep.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We can say people could have mined/dug that deep but when you consider that it had to be done in secrecy, with nobody blabbing to anyone else about the dig and covering up all the things needed to complete the task? Where are the remains of the villages needed? Think of the time it took? All the food, shelter? Lots to cover up on an island that was pretty much visible from the shore.
So it is possible but too much to cover up, hide and lie about.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These people sailed ships and could navigate the ocean that carried tons of food and supplies reguarly to places..and they could duplicate that over and over ( without GPS ) and you don't think they could dig a hole to bury something. and it's not like it was a busy freeway with tons of daily traffic to see them. Maybe they were the ones who put in the coffer dam and built the fingers drains to dry fish to feed them all. Only a choice few of the crew would have even known where they were or what they were burying. The "workers" would not know the, what, why, where, kind of info so no way they could even get back there if they wanted to... For all we know their ship didn't make it back to where they came from and is why no one ever came back to retrieve it, or maybe they did, who knows at this point of course...

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who are "These People" you are referring to? Dig a hole or dig a 170+' hole? Big difference.
If you are putting in Coffer Dams and Finger Drains, that takes time. People would see you doing stuff on the island. Now it is starting to sound like a big commercial construction project. Spending a year or two docked and working on the beach and island... that would go unnoticed? Undocumented?
If you add in all the flood tunnels, that is even more work.
I can buy maybe some small treasure buried not too deep years ago and retrieved but some of the stuff portrayed on the show is just unbelievable.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't speculate on who all has been to the island. it would not take months or years to build the coffer dam, finger grains and or the money pit. and who said it was all built by the same people. there would NOT have been alot of sea traffic around the island at that time. and even if a passer by ship saw some people there they may not have cared and just docked at another island. There is lots of them in the area...

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it would not take months or years to build the coffer dam, finger grains and or the money pit.

What? Really? Anything back 150+ years would have been all hand done work. If you had to build the coffer dam, then the finger drains and then build the beach, you do not think that would take a lot of time? Now add in flood tunnels and the money pit down to 150+ feet?
This would be a HUGE project.

If all these items were not built by the same people, why would someone stumble on the island and go Hey, look at this... let's keep going where they left off!
That makes no sense at all.

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you and others already think the finger drains were for a fishing empire, so if that is true the Money Pit people did not build them, and possibly the coffer dam, what I'm saying is each project by it's self would not take 75 guys too long to build. IF somehow it was all build by the same people in the same trip maybe they had 150 workers, that's just it NOBODY knows the WWWH of all this... Someone did it though, we just don't know why...Could be to hide a treasure, or maybe not...

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no theories or beliefs in anything on OI. Lots of crazy ideas, thoughts and theories. That's why we all watch and read about it.
Someone presented the thought of using the "drains" as a way to get and use salt... pretty neat idea as it has been used before to get salt and dry fish. No crazy idea there. Been done by many cultures. Look it up.
You can say the projects don't take long and I will stick with they are HUGE projects and we can agree on the nobody knows WHY.

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no theories or beliefs in anything on OI. Lots of crazy ideas, thoughts and theories. That's why we all watch and read about it.
Someone presented the thought of using the "drains" as a way to get and use salt... pretty neat idea as it has been used before to get salt and dry fish. No crazy idea there. Been done by many cultures. Look it up.
You can say the projects don't take long and I will stick with they are HUGE projects and we can agree on the nobody knows WHY.

The theorey of Dan B. about the Spanish galleons could be the one, and the theory of Fred Nolan about the British could be too. No treasure on Oak Island, only artefacts ...

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be much easier to boil the seawater down to get the salt. Maybe they did not know this then of course... Not saying it doesn't work but how do you get the salt out of the drains once the seaweed and coconut fibers filtered it? Is that what the pit Dunfield found could have been for, but still not sure that would help get you salt. Wouldn't the salt be trapped in the fibers? As you see I haven't researched Finger Drain Salt Collection...
With 15-20 workers you could dig a hole 10'' wide 100' deep easy. assuming you don't hit water or rock.... If one grave yard digger can dig a grave in a few of hours by himself imagine 20 diggers rotating in and out of the hole...
Where did all those rocks in the coffer dam area come from. Did they dig them up from somewhere on the island or bring them with them? If they brought them with them that would have made that project much easier... I know that part of the beach has alot of rocks but what about the rest of the island did they manage to get almost all the rocks from around the island to use..
Finger Drain Project was probably the easiest part.( not the 500' to the money pit of course and it may not even go there ) May have just been built on top of the ground and then covered, an erosion over the years has buried them...

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The theorey of Dan B. about the Spanish galleons could be the one, and the theory of Fred Nolan about the British could be too. No treasure on Oak Island, only artefacts ...

Those are the best two theories out there... might even have been why they argued and didn't talk for years. Spanish gold and British engineering? Sounds like a good combo right? :occasion14:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo

Have our interruptions been so disruptive over the last 218 years?

Not saying it doesn't work but how do you get the salt out of the drains once the seaweed and coconut fibers filtered it?

If you're asking about how to get the salt out of the water that passed through the drains on its way to somewhere else, you evaporate it once it gets there. If you're asking how to get the salt out of the drains because the seaweed and coconut fibers somehow filtered it out, you don't, because they didn't.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then why not just scoop up the water from the ocean and evaporate it and not fool with the finger drains if they play virtually no part in the drying process other then filtering out seaweed from the ocean. If it's just a tunnel system for the sea water to get to a pit to fill up and slowly evaporate it would be much faster to have shallow ponds per say to evaporate faster. A bucket with a gallon of water will evaporate slower then a large pan with the same gallon of water spread out in it... Why all the work to just funnel water to a pit, when an unlimited supply is right there in front of you... just scoop it up....

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then why not just scoop up the water from the ocean and evaporate it and not fool with the finger drains if they play virtually no part in the drying process other then filtering out seaweed from the ocean. If it's just a tunnel system for the sea water to get to a pit to fill up and slowly evaporate it would be much faster to have shallow ponds per say to evaporate faster. A bucket with a gallon of water will evaporate slower then a large pan with the same gallon of water spread out in it... Why all the work to just funnel water to a pit, when an unlimited supply is right there in front of you... just scoop it up....
The salt theory is rubbish. here is my reasons why http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/o...eory-naval-stores-j-steele-3.html#post5276066 (specific post)

There are many possible non treasure plausible reasons for smiths cove. I mostly lean towards the naval Stores theory...

My own view explained here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/o...eory-naval-stores-j-steele-5.html#post5282445

Last edited:

lokiblossom

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2014
Traverse City, Mi.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

As I posted before, Lewis and Clark, after they reached the Pacific in 1805 set a couple of men to gather salt for the return trip. Boiling sea water they were able to get between 3 to 4 quarts of salt per day.

Cheers, Loki

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Hypothetically, If it were done, It could be done in a week with enough manpower, engineers and raw materials. As for being seen, it depends on WHEN this was done. IMO, it would of had to been done 1600-1760's(Im basing this on a number of things). As to who did this, there are more indications of Spanish than anything however, it is possible that the Brits captured Spanish gold from South America or Gold from sacked towns during the French and Indian wars and hid it there.

It took Mcginnis and his two friends two days to dig down 30 feet and that was three kids. As for "everyone keeping their mouths shut", I am sure these were soldiers that most likely got killed or were too apprehensive about going back and reclaiming the treasure or forgot where exactly it was.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I posted before, Lewis and Clark, after they reached the Pacific in 1805 set a couple of men to gather salt for the return trip. Boiling sea water they were able to get between 3 to 4 quarts of salt per day.

Cheers, Loki

Exactly, why go to the trouble of the finger drains to gather salt!!!

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the point was the hole could have been dug pretty easy, by anyone with the desire. It would not have taken months or years to do as some think on here...

Uaplumber23

Greenie
Jun 8, 2008
N. Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe somebody actually filled a 200' hole back in. As far as digging it. I believe it could have been done. Look at what ancient civilizations were capable of doing with less technology. I do hope they find something.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
They weren't kids. They were adults who owned land on the island.

Some account had mcginnis himself at 13 years old. None owned land at the time of discovery. IDK where you got your facts from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread