Not something you find every day at our beaches!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are these for SoCal beach finds? Hunted a known old section of beach after our recent storms. I noticed lots of rocks in a section where I've found old coins before. Needless to say, I'm happy with the area! These were found with may other old coins, but, these are my favorites at the moment. The Standing Liberty quarter is a 1923S, a key date. The "V" nickel is a 1912S, which is also a key date and very low mintage. Last, but certainly not least (in my book!) is an 1816 one reale from colonial Mexico, my oldest coin find here, and the only reale I've found, which was quite a surprise when I cracked open that crusty target. It was initially bigger than a quarter in size, but, after breaking off all the encrustation, it's just a bit bigger than a cent!

Attachments

• 100_1412.jpg
    100_1412.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 238
  • 100_1413.jpg
    100_1413.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 196
Upvote 27
Nice finds, especially for San Diego. The Spanish silver had to put a smile on your face, even though in value it is nowhere near the quarter.

Killer old coins CM! Very well done sir.

Nice finds, especially for San Diego. The Spanish silver had to put a smile on your face, even though in value it is nowhere near the quarter.
That's true, but, I've found lots of standing liberty quarters through the years (albeit not a rare date like this). The reale is my first, so, it has more meaning to me.

Great finds Cuda!! From the reading I have been doing on all the forums, lower SoCal has had the most benefit from the El Nino this season! Keep these finds coming!!

Congratz on some awesome finds! The oldest coin I've found at a beach so far is a 1945 penny.

Wow,, even NYC area beaches don't put out coins like that, especially not in that condition.
Big time Congrats

Those are certainly 3 nice keepers, 2 of which remain on my bucket list.

nicely done sir !!

Very nice. Even in fresh water coins get thick black silver oxide crust on them and it has to be broken off. Congrats

Very nice. Even in fresh water coins get thick black silver oxide crust on them and it has to be broken off. Congrats
These coins seem to have a coating mix of sand, silver oxide, and iron oxide which looks and feels like a dark gray plaster or concrete. The black iron sand gives them an odd reading on the detector too. Most things were reading quite a bit lower than normal. If you're familiar with Minelab numbers, I was getting fairly accurate numbers for some of the nickels, but, others were real low....01-10 vs. a normal reading of 12-13. Wheats were in the 12-34 to 12-41 range along with the Indians. Sometimes the ferrous numbers were down in the 9 and 10 area. Silver did about the same thing ferrous numbers from 9-12 and conductive numbers from normal to 4-5 numbers lower than normal, depending on how encrusted they were.

That is a wonderful day. You have got yourself a good bit there. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

wow that's an incredible quarter. i happened to dig a 1923 today. when i saw the value of the 's' version i broke out the microscope...no dice. grats on yours...what a gem.

Very cool coin recoveries! The Reale is a great find. :occasion14:

As I recall, I believe a Galleon was beached near Coronado in the early to mid-1800's...

Might find some loot from it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back