not sure if artifacts, or just really nicely shaped rocks..

LadyClaire

Jul 14, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I went rock hunting in a creek near me that is pretty heavy in geodes and fossils. You can also find the occasional Native American artifact in the creek bed. Years ago I found a hammer stone, can't be mistaken for anything else..it has the worn end and finger grips on each side.

These, however, I picked up just because I liked the shapes of the rocks. It didn't occur to me that they might be anything else until I noticed how uniform in shape two of the rocks were, and that the pieces of flint I picked up had a worked edge. Still, the round ones could just be natural rocks, worn smooth by being tumbled in the creek for goodness knows how long, and that creek is so full of flint that some of it is bound to get broken up naturally. So, have I found anything, or are they just nice, but nothing special rocks?

flatbottomrock.jpgflints.jpgroundrocks.jpg

Of the two round rocks, one has a perfectly flat bottom. I posted a picture of it from the side as well so you can see it. It's the rock on the right in the group picture. The one with the hole in it..bead, or just worn rock? is the longer flint anything but a chunk of flint?

The round rocks fit in the palm of my hand..they're not very big, which is why I wasn't sure if they'd really be anything but naturally tumbled stones. Though this particular creek tends to have more jagged, large rocks, since it has a very loose rocky bed.

Hello,
I spent a couple of years in Kentucky(while stationed at Fort Campbell)and can tell you that searching creek sites,including dry stream beds,is an EXCELLENT place to find Indian artifacts.I found many artifacts at Campbell using topo maps of the base years ago.
Apparently ancient Indians skinning animals near a water source has been my conclusion.
The flint shards you have appear to be flaked by hand and the worn area of one of your stones appears man-made rather than a natural break in the rock;perhaps net sinkers(?)
Keep looking & pay close attention to washes and where the water has left deposits after high water.
Good luck.
J.A. Morrow

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back