Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No expert here, but in order for someone to provide an educated opinion, I think you will need some high quality and super closeups of the end of the bow and other areas as well. From the picture provided, it does not look like there is very much wear where the string is attached. If it were very old, I would expect to see more. Do you know any history behind it as to where it came from, where and how its been stored?
Also, take a powerful magnifying glass and look closely at the wood. If it has been stored away from many years, you might be able to see the tell-tell signs of insect abuse, old whitish spider droppings, etc.
Maybe putting it on the "pre-colonial" site here would provide you with more help.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some ideas to research would be pennobscott and nargasett and sudbury. Two tribes and a bow named after location where its owner was relieved of it,later went to a museum,if i ,m thinking of right bow. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plains Indians bows were short for use on horseback. Sixty two inches would be way too long . I don't know about northern Indians however. Monty

Upvote 0

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a long bow
I very much doubt that it is a real hunting bow but Probably a target bow judging by the serving end maybe 25-35lbs @ 28" draw. take it to an archery shop and they'll tell you. To hard to judge by pictures alone.

Upvote 0

deadeye40

Jul 9, 2012
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take it to a museum... a archery shop wouldnt have a clue as it appears to be home made... museum might possibly be able to date and tell you how old it is.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take it to a museum... a archery shop wouldnt have a clue as it appears to be home made... museum might possibly be able to date and tell you how old it is.
I guess that all depends on who owns the shop, but your probably right for the most part. I'd take it to the nearest Reservation myself, but then that's like 5 minutes away from me so... :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread