What's new

Not sure if I did this right, but can you help?

jennyprm138

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 21, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
My friend found this metal detecting and it read as silver across the detector. It weighs 16.9 ounces and is 3 3/4 inch x 2 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch thick. He seems to think it's lead and on one side it has stab marks on it. There is also a hole carved out on each side of it. Thanks!!
002.jpg

003.jpg
 
By the pic.I'd say lead,by the holes in the pic.I'd say old,that area deserves GOIN OVER!Does your machine have tones?
 
Upvote 0
Jenny,How much bigger is it than a quarter?
 
Upvote 0
I'm going with Civil War useful camp 'art.' Useful being slide buckle or the likes. Welcome to the forum! Breezie
 
Upvote 0
worldtalker said:
Jenny,How much bigger is it than a quarter?
OOOPS,Posted before I reread your post,you gave the size,anyway,you could post a better pic?
 
Upvote 0
RonnieandBri said:
hope this helps
OOHH,much nice!!!Someone certainly was stikin it with a pocketknife,Breezie may be onta something here!!!
 
Upvote 0
The machine reads it high like 94. Usually on lead it reads in the 40's or 50's i'm pretty sure its lead but dont understand why my detector is reading it like silver. Was found in an area with a pretty good amount of musket balls. Thanks for any help identifying
 
Upvote 0
RonnieandBri said:
The machine reads it high like 94. Usually on lead it reads in the 40's or 50's i'm pretty sure its lead but dont understand why my detector is reading it like silver. Was found in an area with a pretty good amount of musket balls. Thanks for any help identifying
Hang in there,someone will come along to the Rescue,gonna be goin back to that area?Larger piece of target,higher #How long you been usin your machine?
 
Upvote 0
Have been using it for about 3 months and deffidently still learning. My friend and me are heading back out soon as we get some time.
 
Upvote 0
RonnieandBri said:
Have been using it for about 3 months and deffidently still learning. My friend and me are heading back out soon as we get some time.
You never stop learning,Just understand what it's telling you and you will do alright,Patience/Persistence!You're well on your way,Best of hunting to you and hope to see more posts.GodBless Chris
 
Upvote 0
I wonder if maybe it didn't have a leather strap through it to attach it to someones palm, to protect them when they were cutting something......
 
Upvote 0
It does put you in mind of a buckle but its really heavy, the strap idea sounds good i dont know if the knife marks were part of its use or if someone just got bored. Do you guys think its ok to clean it and if so how. thanks
 
Upvote 0
I see a 50 or 55 nicked into that and it appears that its a few words long ,well maybe hard to see in the pics, I zoomed in here
 

Attachments

  • webold.webp
    webold.webp
    1.7 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0
I rotated the pic and zoomed in on the area , I need a 10 yr old to come show me how to use this computer lol
 

Attachments

  • edited pic.webp
    edited pic.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 324
Upvote 0
RonnieandBri said:
It does put you in mind of a buckle but its really heavy, the strap idea sounds good i dont know if the knife marks were part of its use or if someone just got bored. Do you guys think its ok to clean it and if so how. thanks

No, please do not clean it. The white patina is what all of us Civil War collectors love to see on bullets and other lead items. It would be the same think if someone had a valuable coin, and cleaned it; part of the value would be gone. As far as the knife marks are concerned, I think they are random. It could have had a dual purpose, in that it was used as some type of slide buckle and as a back slab or back board while working with the knife. It could also be a 'mammy made' stirrup. As I originally said, I think it's Civil War useful camp art. Really nice find, Breezie

PS: I'll let that 'guys' comment slide since you're new to TNet! LOL :laughing7:
Welcome to the forum.
 
Upvote 0
Here are a couple more photos. Thanks for all the input guys and girls! I'm finding out how this works now. I never even noticed the numbers but im checking it out a little closer now this piece is really working on my brain haha.
 

Attachments

  • pic1web.webp
    pic1web.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 309
  • pic2web.webp
    pic2web.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 307
  • pic3web.webp
    pic3web.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 307
Upvote 0
ok here is a clumsy paint to show you/me lol that something may be there , sent it to a buddy and he asked if it was sullivan or maybe brooklyn or maybe its my vivid imagination :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • my red lines.webp
    my red lines.webp
    86.1 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0
With all the knife point scars I am inclined to think it is made of lead or a lead alloy as it seems to be pretty soft. I am guessing someone hammered a bullet flat and made a buckle out of it perhaps to cinch a rucksack or something similar? Monty
 
Upvote 0
I'm pretty impressed as to how many good ideas everyone has about this. And the #55 etched into could be very possible, good eyes! I hope you find out what it is, Ronnie!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom