Not the usual material but a good day it was.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got together with the owner on the same day so he could take me to the spot. I can only go there roughly twice a year and today was the 1st time for 2017. I walked quite a ways and only found a flake of black flint then all of a sudden I found the 2 brown points together. As I stared at them I thought no wonder I havent found nothing if they all are made from this material. Its a creek type of rock and not flint or quartz. Last time there I found some of the best lithics I have ever found but history didnt repeat itself today. I did find a lot of quartz. The redish, black and tan piece was interesting by the size of it alone and the material which again is a new type. This creek flows down out of a mountainous area that travels many miles long. Im not even sure how far it goes. No permission to find out I just have a section I can look in. Now on the glass piece it looks just like a knife but probably just a lucky break? Ive never found a glass knife before so its probably natural. Some of the quartz pieces are very worn you will have to take my word on them. My pics got lost and I had to go through the whole pc to find them Im not taking anymore. N GA finds with permission. HH, rock

Attachments

• SDC12435.JPG
    SDC12435.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • SDC12437.JPG
    SDC12437.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • SDC12440.JPG
    SDC12440.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • SDC12445.JPG
    SDC12445.JPG
    824.4 KB · Views: 82
  • SDC12441.JPG
    SDC12441.JPG
    789.3 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a spot like that where i have to basically make an appointment to go its kind of agravating but im still grateful to have access at all that largest one is nice maybe you will have better luck next time

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the same way about missing stuff. Seem like my eyes catch mostly the materials I am use to finding, like quarts for example. Now I try to look for shape more then color.. Nice hunt dude. That is a darn nice S.R by the way.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a super great day in that spot! The quartz looks a lot like what I find here. Hope the glass is a point, hard to tell but in the pic the edges do look like they've been altered by man. The points are awesome! Makes me want to get in my creek but all but one little area is inaccessible for me until Winter probably.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good day Rock. You just keep asking along at others property upstream and you will land an ok.:icon_thumleft:

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome hunt! The brown material looks like it was probably tough to flake! They are great finds and lots of them! You really know how to,pick the hunting grounds :)

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the same way about missing stuff. Seem like my eyes catch mostly the materials I am use to finding, like quarts for example. Now I try to look for shape more then color.. Nice hunt dude. That is a darn nice S.R by the way.

I have to admit some of the quartz is real rough and some of the points are below field grade. Which do you think is the SR? I figured the tree shaped one was a Pickwick or a Kirk and the long one with the tip ding was something called a Fishspear. I know the quartz is MM and a broke one looks like an Adena base. But Im still learning on the point side of it. I do find Pickwicks and Ledbetters in the area. This creek empties into one of my best bigger creeks.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good day Rock. You just keep asking along at others property upstream and you will land an ok.:icon_thumleft:

I have permission in that area Im trying to capture the whole thing but there are a couple that says noway and they dont care what I offer. Both of them like to shoot if you get to close. I just wave and turn around, haha

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pink one is not completed on both sides so its either a preform or a chopper. I have found some interesting big blades broke in half. Every time I go I dream on finding one of those blades whole but so far I havent. Winter is the best time there, no snakes. I call it snake creek you can hear them plop in the water from the trees. They arent the biting type thank goodness.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit some of the quartz is real rough and some of the points are below field grade. Which do you think is the SR? I figured the tree shaped one was a Pickwick or a Kirk and the long one with the tip ding was something called a Fishspear. I know the quartz is MM and a broke one looks like an Adena base. But Im still learning on the point side of it. I do find Pickwicks and Ledbetters in the area. This creek empties into one of my best bigger creeks.
I was talking about the point in the first pic. S.R was the first type that crossed my mind. Stemmed points confuse me sometimes. Whatever it is it is nice.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty nice finds..... You definitely gotta train your eyes to look for different material... I have walked over a couple of arrowheads several times before I found them for that exact reason

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking about the point in the first pic. S.R was the first type that crossed my mind. Stemmed points confuse me sometimes. Whatever it is it is nice.

It could be but most of the SR I have found look a little different. This one the stem is a bit crooked and on the very end there is cortex. I read in my guild cortex was popular on the Pickwick but like you its a tough call. It does have nice edge work on the blade very spiny to the touch. The other one look to of been made as a tool it has a chisel tip and a large scallop flake removed like a spokeshave. But both are going in my 2017 frame. The quartz ones I got 2 frame worthy points. The red one will go into my chunky tool bin. Thanks Im always up for new ideas.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The glass piece sure resembles a point.

It does and was dirty when I picked it up. One side looks to of been chipped like a point blade but the creek could of done it. I have no idea on glass points might be the wrong color for all I know but has the shape of a point for sure. When I saw it I thought it was a nice point but was disappointed when I picked it up kind of like when you see a nice shaped leaf and bend over all excited just to have it fall apart in your hands.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread