Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not what I thought...I don't think...

Yet another What Is It posting from Romeo-1...still learning... ;D

I found this on my last relic hunt. When I 1st dug it I thought it was a modern shotgun slug. The thing is though, lead gives a very particular tone on the Explorer and this did not give that tone. I was surprised when I pulled it out of the ground. I put it in my pocket and forgot about it. When I got home I tossed it in with the rest of my modern lead. Yesterday I showed it to my wife and had the first opportunity to really look at it. It appears to be lead but it also appears to be very old as seen by the fractures on the "bottom" and the cracks all through. The color is greyish green but it looks too old to not have tarnished white. Also, there appears to be a design of concentric circles on the "top" of the slug. It may not be clear from the pics but is very clear with a loop. The "bottom" does not look like any lead projectile that I have seen that has been fired.

Could this be anything besides a shotgun slug? Thanks for your replies!

Attachments

• myst top 002.JPG
    myst top 002.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 583
  • myst bottom 009.JPG
    myst bottom 009.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 582
T

TreasureTales

Re: Not what I thought...I don't think...

Hmmmm, I don't know what it is, but it doesn't look like lead to me. Greenish color? That sounds more like copper, but I guess that can be ruled out? Strange.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I really do not think that this is a shotgun slug. I have found dozens of shotgun slugs and they just do not look like this. When they have been in the ground for a while they have oxidized white and if they have not been in the ground for a while they are smooth. This really looks like it has been in the ground for a while as evidenced by the fissures in the metal. Also, as mentioned it did not ring in as lead on the Explorer which has a very consistent signal...stumped.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Also it is exactly 5/8 of an inch wide...if that helps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How about a ball button? It looks like it could be but without the loop...thinking out loud!

Upvote 0

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Romeo..I agree with you..I don;t think its a shotgun slug either....looks unlike any slug I;ve seen, also I;ve never seen lead turn green like that (at least none I;ve dug),,Have no clue what it is, but it sure doesn;t look like a shotgun slug to me.

Upvote 0

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004

The first thing that came to mind is a bell...The two marks on the back probably contained a loop to attach to a horse harness for example. Does it make any sound when you shake it or is it solid. Possibly could be filled with dirt and the closed(fused) cracks could have once been open.

Just a suggestion.

T.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nope...this is solid...very small...definitely not a bell. Thanks for looking though!

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Could be an end capfor a cane or.......

Upvote 0

Kansasippi

Nov 26, 2006
Delphos
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV,ML 18000,Tesoro Inca,Black Widows

The round mark on the 'top' looks like the impression of a ramrod, I'm gonna guess some dead eye shot had a special ball that fit tight or he/they used extra wadding to get a tight fit for a well placed shot. And it took a bit of effort to seat the ball.

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

If it is lead, it should be nicked with a knife blade pretty easily. Are you willing to find a somewhat inconspicuous area on its underside where you can nick it? Then we'll know if it is in fact lead.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, I tried to sliver off a piece but it is very hard...definitely not lead!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread