Pierced lid of some sort

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this Wednesday at that old 100 year old house. My friend thought it was the top to a small grease gun, but that was before I cleaned it up and discovered the piercings in it. It is about the size of a silver dollar and the inside is threaded. My First thought was some kind of lid for a salt shaker but it's much to crude for table use. Then I thought maybe the top to a tire repair kit where you use the rough piercings to scruff up the tire tube before you put the glue and patch on. But that doesn't explain the center hole.....
Any clues?
Thanks
Scott

Attachments

• pierced lid top.jpg
    pierced lid top.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 353
  • pierced lid bottom.jpg
    pierced lid bottom.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 350
My bad...I meant to say the size of a half dollar.

Upvote 0
looks like the lid to a bait box for live fishing bait to me. crickets maybe. the hole in the center would have had a lid as well so you could remove one cricket at a time without the others escaping. the small holes were for air.

Upvote 0
Hi - this is most likely a lid from a pepper pot. The large hole is where a knob would have been (see picture) Although my picture shows silver pots there were commonly made with glass bowls.

Attachments

• pepper.jpg
    pepper.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 277
Upvote 0
Mapmaker--I really doubt that it is any type of table goods- it's just too crudely made. The piercings are upward and ROUGH!
I think it is also too small for a cricket keeper, unless you are only going to have a few--however the length of the bottom piece is unknown.......
I'll keep trying to find something on the net...
Scott

Upvote 0
Daddytopcat said:
Then I thought maybe the top to a tire repair kit where you use the rough piercings to scruff up the tire tube before you put the glue and patch on. But that doesn't explain the center hole.....

Looks like a shower head or sprinkler lid for a watering jug to me.

Upvote 0
a previous MDer with probe fever
That's just too hilarious! I laughed for a good 10 minutes!(been there, done that!)
I also thought it might be the top of a cheap lantern of some sort, but still not 100% sure....
Scott

Upvote 0
I've seen a similar object in a house basement that served as a drain.

The center had a pivoted lid to allow access for clog cleaning. However, the one I'm referring to was cast iron and it was in a home built in 1910 and much larger of course.

Perhaps, yours was for a sink.

Tony

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back