wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that most of us in the treasure hunting business, ah err I mean undersea archeology, as well as those who are just interested in what we do beneath the oceans waves have pretty thick skin, and can take lots of verbal abuse, and dish it out as well. And we all can enjoy a little friendly rivalry from time to time. This is all fine and dandy. However, lately I have noticed a definite change in the path this site is headed.

The majority of us that take the time to post on this site, and share information with others on our theories and discoveries, as well as share research information do so expecting a certain level of respect of others opinions and beliefs.

If you have come to this site to play games, con, and disrespect others or otherwise behave in an unprofessional and immature way. Then I am respectively requesting that you take it to one of the other sites that seem to not really care how you behave.

As a moderator on this site I have had to delete only one thread, and ban one individual from posting here, and if it?s all the same to you, I would just as soon not have to do it again. However, don?t think for a minute that I wont, and for the record, there are a couple of you on this site that I am watching very closely.

Consider this as a shot across the bow!

Q

wallycoz

Oct 3, 2004
Biloxi, Mississippi
Wreckdiver,

If they want to act like children, then by ALL means, treat them like children!!! I have been a member for quite some time but, rarely post. Most of the time I only have enough time to read some of the more interesting (to me) topics.

Gentlemen (and Ladies :)), we are all supposed to be grown-ups... Yes, some newbies post something that may have just been the topic 3 days ago but, they may not know that and may not yet have a firm grip on navigating this site, this is not a reason to get nasty! Remember, we are all here first and foremost to have a good time. If its not that way for you, Get Out! Life's too short to put up with the BS! Second, we are here to share the ins and outs of our most beloved hobby - Treasure Hunting.

Third, we are here to share what we want about the hobby and to help someone who has a question concerning it. THE SAME WAY SOMEONE HELPED YOU WHEN YOU FIRST STARTED!!! Don't ever forget that! We all had to start somewhere and we asked a hell of a lot of questions. Remember, the ONLY dumb question is the one you don't ask!!!

I agree whole heartedly with Wreck! With over 8500 members (damn proud to be part of it!), none of us should have to put up with the childish antics of one or two who think of themselves as Treasure Gods! It has been my experience in life, that the one's who talk the loudest, know the least!

As I said before, proud to be a part of such a fine organization and fellowhip. I have seen the topics get heated and then cool off immediately. That's the way its supposed to be. Its like getting mad at your brother. But, he's still your brother and the next day, its all forgotten.

For those of you who can't seem to play nice, maybe you should find another sandbox to play in. And when you leave, bring your toys with you!!!!!

OK, finished my rant ;D,

Walter

P

Parangjim

wreckdiver1715,
Most of us joined this group to give and receive advice on our hobby/pasttime/fixation. As a moderator, you are entrusted with the task of "watching" our posts and making sure we stay on topic. Absolutely no complaints from this quarter on the way you, or any, of the moderators do your job. If you feel that someone is detrimental to this group, do your job. You have our trust and our backing. Personally, I like some of the controversy. It gives us divergent opinions and is (occasionally) humorous.
You've warned us now, do your job as best as you can. We'll take it.
jim

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Wreckdiver1715,
You have my full support on this matter. I find this a great site with interesting topics and comments. Childish and mean spirited people are a waste of time. We sure don't need to navigate those waters.
Aquanut

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Unfortunately the child-like behavior and bickering is what caused my, our, friend Charles from Oak Island, NC to no longer visit this forum. It was a huge loss to everyone on here because of his knowledge of shipwrecks and willingness to help everyone.
The only people that will leave this site over immature acts are those who are professional in their actions and hunting. The ones we consider valuable in OUR research.
Guys, we're in this for fun and maybe (hopefully) a great discovery. Don't blow it.
xXx

OP
OP
wreckdiver1715

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words of support. I know that this forum is an important resource of information to many. xXx, I also miss reading the post of Charles, and PC (no shot was taken across your bow), I think you would have also enjoyed Charles as well. Not only was he willing to share the information, but was more than willing to back it up with at least one source reference that was accurate and verifiable. Additionally his knowledge of ROV?s and DPV?s was most helpful to me and my little corner of the treasure hunting world.
There are many ways that salvers will use to fund the very expensive business of shipwreck hunting. For most of us it?s funded out of pocket. Over time we purchase what we can afford to put forth our best effort in the hunt. Boat, Dive gear, Magnetometer, Underwater metal detectors, Mailboxes, and a host of other very expensive tools of the trade, not to mention the nearly six hundred dollars it takes to put fuel on board a small search and recovery boat.
Then if you are fortunate enough to find a virgin wreck, you are looking at more expenses. The cost of a Maritime Lawyer, Archeologist, and Permits and leases if the wreck is in a Countries Territorial or State waters all add up to a hefty price tag (most wont work for a percentage), so up goes the cost of Poker!
You do however; have a couple of options to seek funding for your project. This requires putting together a prospectus outlining your plan for the recovery, documentation, conversation and distribution of any treasure, Gather all the supporting evidence and documentation about the wreck and then trying to locate people with investment capitol, and ensuring that you don?t break any of the SEC rules that may land you in jail along the way.
You may also desire to take your plan to an established Salvage Company (one with prior successful shipwreck recovery experience), and negotiate a limited partnership for the recovery, documentation, preservation and division of the booty. First you need to establish legal ownership of the wreck. Then you have to able to provide enough evidence of your find to convince them to buy in with a signed contract.
And the whole time you need to keep it Super Double Top Secret, so that the folks who have no respect for the laws that govern these matters don?t swoop in on your find, and rape it of all its treasures.
Well, that?s a couple of the ways that a legitimate independent salver may fund his or her project (unless you are independently wealthy or a con-man).

Q

S

seal

I am a younger member of this site but have become quite familiar with the set up, and I have asked a particular question that has been asked on previous occasions and I have been told so but I did not get into a fuss over it. I have to agree with everyone that anyone who is new maybe take a bit of time getting the hang of things but they should not need to lower the standards of the other users of this website jus so that they can have a few laughs.

If they act out of line then they should be punished in some form or another.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread