May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up this awesomepainting at an estate sale for $25. It is extremely large and is possibly oil on paper. It is signed Atcheson. Anyone have any ideas on the artist. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478981323.192394.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, nice painting. Just guessing from the style/design, I'd think this is possibly a concept sub created for a movie, or possibly even for a brand-name video game. Artist might well be an unknown. Hold onto it for a while and see if this or a similar concept sub appears (or has already), but if it was in an estate sale, then it might also have been a rejected concept. ...Just rambling. :tongue3:

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Ohio Class in production 1978-1997. If it is then 18 were made (at least according to the govt).

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like Ohio Class in production 1978-1997. If it is then 18 were made (at least according to the govt).
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

I'm sticking with concept.

...Just enlarged the image for the first time (data limits, dontcha know) and I could be wrong, but that flat area looks like it "might" be conceptualizing a solar panel, for being able to recharge batteries without engines. ...Guess it could also be a heli deck. ...Maybe even both!! ;D But I can't find any images of an Ohio Class that's similar.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

I'm sticking with concept.

...Just enlarged the image for the first time (data limits, dontcha know) and I could be wrong, but that flat area looks like it "might" be conceptualizing a solar panel, for being able to recharge batteries without engines. ...Guess it could also be a heli deck. ...Maybe even both!! ;D But I can't find any images of an Ohio Class that's similar.

Here are some more photos. It is 38"x30". ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479183731.045685.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479183881.653683.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479183893.992732.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479183904.181088.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479183914.488672.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479183924.543523.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479183933.317611.jpg

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it looks like it's firing a ballistic missle.

You mean its launching high yield democracy to a dictatorship? Its a cool painting and neat enough to hang onto while you research the painter. If it was a sad clown painting, i'd say let it go.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an afterthought you might want to inquire at Electric Boat Work (public relations) located in Groton Ct if they could tell you anything about the painting.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an afterthought you might want to inquire at Electric Boat Work (public relations) located in Groton Ct if they could tell you anything about the painting.

Good idea. the company is General Dynamics Electric Boat, in rotten Groton.

I went to the Naval nuclear sub school there when I first got in the Navy and they gave me orders to a pig boat. (WWII diesel sub) It did real good at the end of WWII against the Japanese. But I went to nuclear school not diesel school and I declined my orders. Ant the Navy being the Navy shipped me as far away as the could, Long Beach, CA. I grew up 15 miles north. I was home again.

I stayed on the ship I was transferred to for the rest of my fleet navy life, about 3.5 years. Went to Vietnam three times and even Korea. For fun we went to Sasebo Japan, Yokosuka Japan, Hong kong, Sidney, Singapore and Guam (boring) Our port over seas was in the Philippines.

Sorry for pirating your thread but that brought back some memories.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread