Jul 28, 2018
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5108E3D1-3B52-4B05-86EF-C88CDA96D27A.jpeg
56AE9AED-39F6-4A6A-8051-87F57DF13A71.jpeg
BBC9F053-A34C-4E0A-8874-36684E891FA8.jpeg
230129F4-E0FB-4B66-AB72-D2E087879317.jpeg
Hey y’all, just wanted to show off this mailbox find I have had laying around. Got them pre-Covid from a Peruvian eBay dealer. Included small spondylus beads as well. Don’t usually buy artifacts, but make exceptions for trade material. Lord knows I will never find one in the field. These beads derive their name from the 16th century early Spanish pearl harvesting site on the island of cabagua Venezuela. Beads as these generally date to the 16th century, but the smaller twisted ones may go into the 17th century. The beads have been found in many Spanish colonial contexts, and even in English ones on Jamestown. In Georgia the only concentration I know of to be found is along the coosa watershed associated with Tristan de Luna. The 7 layer chevron is an added touch by myself, but is probably not associated with the new world. One of the beads also broke, but on the bright side you can see the unpatinated interior glass. Including a figure from Marvin smith on Spanish trade beads, not sure the accuracy. Thanks for reading!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
View attachment 2037189 View attachment 2037190 View attachment 2037191 View attachment 2037192 Hey y’all, just wanted to show off this mailbox find I have had laying around. Got them pre-Covid from a Peruvian eBay dealer. Included small spondylus beads as well. Don’t usually buy artifacts, but make exceptions for trade material. Lord knows I will never find one in the field. These beads derive their name from the 16th century early Spanish pearl harvesting site on the island of cabagua Venezuela. Beads as these generally date to the 16th century, but the smaller twisted ones may go into the 17th century. The beads have been found in many Spanish colonial contexts, and even in English ones on Jamestown. In Georgia the only concentration I know of to be found is along the coosa watershed associated with Tristan de Luna. The 7 layer chevron is an added touch by myself, but is probably not associated with the new world. One of the beads also broke, but on the bright side you can see the unpatinated interior glass. Including a figure from Marvin smith on Spanish trade beads, not sure the accuracy. Thanks for reading!
Awesome stuff.

I've found some of them near Cubagua, but that style is much more common in Peru than in Venezuela.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions