sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a prospector living in Fresno but have recently been heading to the mariposa area to swing my gold bug 2 around. I've been to bagby briefly and just the other day I did a quick hunt at Briceburg. I've heard these two names quite a bit in the local gold prospecting network, and I know gold is in the area. However, my question is regarding nuggets in general. Everyone always says, "to find nuggets, you gotta be in a "nugget area"". Ok, so obviously I don't expect anyone to give out their secret location to me and everyone else reading...but are there still some decent UNCLAIMED areas worth nugget-shooting? Or do I need to go deeper into northern gold country? Sorry if this question seems vague or strange. I'm not new to prospecting, but I haven't been nugget-shooting for too long, so it would be nice to get in an area where I have a fighting chance. Especially with a GB2! Great machine for finding that small gold. Thanks to anyone that can give some advice to a fellow gold seeker in the mariposa/Coarsegold area! Thank you, and good luck to everyone out there!

Upvote 2

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Briceburg Rec area and Bagby Rec area closest and least troublesome. Gold, platinum group and the ONLY state documented deposits of rhodium are there. If it's black, red, gossum oxide looking nasty stuff that sets off that GB2 keep it and be surprised but rhodium takes a lot to process as all pt. group metals. John

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get on the internet. Google. Cdnc ( California digitalized newspapers collections) once at the home page, use the search box. Try typing mariposa county lump or nugget. You should get a list of old editions with articles of big finds. They usually mention the creek, gulch or hill where they found them. Then you'll get an idea of places where there was coarse gold to find with a detector. Dont be surprised to find some of these places claimed or private. But there should be some places that alot of people dont know about. You might also try on the search mariposa rich diggings. You should find more. Good luck

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The old newspapers were scanned for the internet by computers, so because of blurred ink pages back then, some of the words didnt come out right on the scan. But you can figure out what it said anyway. Good luck

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I spent a lot of time prospecting in the Merced River area above Mariposa in the 70's. There is some really big gold there.

I have friends who still prospect there. One of those friends is Grubstake who knows a little about metal detecting that area. Grubstake has found some pretty gold in that area. Other people, some who post here, have detected good gold around Mariposa too. I can't share any exact locations with you but I can give you three big hints.

But before the hints enjoy the eye candy. Grubstake has graciously allowed me to share some of the beautiful gold found there.
Check out Grubby's gallery - I guarantee you'll be inspired.

Here are your three hints:

1. Look up, look around. Stop defining search areas by where the river is. Learn to see the land as a series of zones of different interacting mineralized areas, not valleys and hills. 60% of the gold in California has never been mined, move on from the easy pickings of the past and ask yourself where that 60% could be hanging out.

2. Research all you can before you go to a potential site. Study the geology. Pay particular attention to faults, alteration zones and complex mineralization. Study the mining history to understand what minerals and geologic structures are associated with gold in that particular area. Study the access routes, claims and land ownership status. Know as much as you can before you go so your prospecting time will be productive.

3. When you are on the ground learn to recognize the signs of mineralization both large scale and the actual minerals and rocks on the ground. Learn to recognize the signs and look of faults, dikes and gossans when you are in the field. You can't beep every inch of the ground to find the productive areas, narrow your search to areas with the right "look" before you expand your prospecting to less obvious areas.

Maybe some other members here will share some of their finds from the area too? ? nudge^ nudge^ wink* wink* :occasion14:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research

Get on the internet. Google. Cdnc ( California digitalized newspapers collections) once at the home page, use the search box. Try typing mariposa county lump or nugget. You should get a list of old editions with articles of big finds. They usually mention the creek, gulch or hill where they found them. Then you'll get an idea of places where there was coarse gold to find with a detector. Dont be surprised to find some of these places claimed or private. But there should be some places that alot of people dont know about. You might also try on the search mariposa rich diggings. You should find more. Good luck

Dang nab it. You have spilled the beans.

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To all of you that took the time to write to my response, I thank you so so much! I'm very new to this site, and compared to most folks out there, I still consider myself very new to prospecting! I tried getting a few friends involved, but it just wasn't there cup o tea! They thought it was a "get rich quick" kinda thing, and we all know it's far from that! So, that being said, I am alone in my ventures and learning has been rough. Lots of trial and error, lots of gas used going up the hill and coming home empty handed, and lots and lots of money spent! However, the joy that I receive out of this is what matters, and hopefully as I learn more, and become more successful, my love for this will grow even more! Again, I appreciate all of your kind words (and hints). I look forward to talking with all of you much more on here!! Glad to be a part of this community and finally having people to discuss prospecting with!

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hell, maybe I'll even end up going to the field with someone! Having a digging partner sounds amazing!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up Central Valley Prospectors out of Fresno, They have meetings once a month.No dues and local claims, one I know is between Mariposa and Coarsegold above Raymond.Google them.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Join AMRA......they have good claims and gold is still there. Mariposa has a lot of private property so be careful, ranchers and owners don't particularly like strangers. But saying that, there is good ground up and down river from Bagby..grass is high now and poison oak covering tons of good ground. Its BLM and MPUD..so its all open to high water mark...be careful.

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I went up to Briceburg again, actually twice last week! Only had about 3 hours the first day and maybe 4 or 5 the other day. I guess it really didn't matter either way, because I found NOTHING!!! Lots and lots of boot tacks, nails and little pieces of old cans. At least my Gold bug 2 is working and picking up very small metal target. However, the gold targets haven't been in my area lately! Or I'm missing them! Who knows....that's why we have to practice and dig dig dig! I've been told by many people to dig every target, and I've been doing just that. I can clearly tell now when I have what is more than likely a big piece of junk under my coil now, and can tell the "zip zip" of a small possible nugget/boot tack lol. I've been taking everyone's advice and venturing to different spots and not just staying near the river and traditional hunting locations. Also I've been studying up on the geology of my places of interest. Prospecting is hard work and takes lots of time and patience. It's all worth it when you find something!! That feeling is amazing! Hope everyone is doing well. I hope to bring better news on my next post haha. Thanks for all the advice and tips!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went up to Briceburg again, actually twice last week! Only had about 3 hours the first day and maybe 4 or 5 the other day. I guess it really didn't matter either way, because I found NOTHING!!! Lots and lots of boot tacks, nails and little pieces of old cans. At least my Gold bug 2 is working and picking up very small metal target. However, the gold targets haven't been in my area lately! Or I'm missing them! Who knows....that's why we have to practice and dig dig dig! I've been told by many people to dig every target, and I've been doing just that. I can clearly tell now when I have what is more than likely a big piece of junk under my coil now, and can tell the "zip zip" of a small possible nugget/boot tack lol. I've been taking everyone's advice and venturing to different spots and not just staying near the river and traditional hunting locations. Also I've been studying up on the geology of my places of interest. Prospecting is hard work and takes lots of time and patience. It's all worth it when you find something!! That feeling is amazing! Hope everyone is doing well. I hope to bring better news on my next post haha. Thanks for all the advice and tips!

Don't know if you have tried Google earth but you can get some good overhead views of the area and it can help you figure where you might want to spend more time or pick out unusual spots to check.The harder to get to the better in my opinion.The side canyons are areas I like hitting.

OP
OP
sgtled3533

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the tips. I've actually been using google earth quite a bit to do my recon before heading out. It's amazing how close you can get with that tool.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every trip will be an education...this is how we all started ..on your own apprenticeship with a little help from others. I think it took me a year before I found my first piece. Think of it as a journey and enjoy the peace being outdoors, that first piece of gold will come eventually.

panner59

Dec 2, 2012
California...For now!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Royal Mini High banker,Keene A-52 Sluice, Gold N Sand X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a claim on Gentry Gulch and did pretty good there back when we could dredge. Found quite a few nice nuggets. The owner died back in 08 and I haven't been back for a few years. Ham Coward Gulch has some nice spots along the road. The owner pointed out an area where the (old timers) had stacked the rocks from the creek up on the side and he said that the area has not been prospected under those rocks. I know of two old river channels at the end of the road at the Banderita mine. Lots of places to dig but I don't know who owns these climes now.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you're lucky to be so close to the motherlode country. I can only vist and so I do a lot more research reading books and maps of Calif. I'm narrowing down the exact areas on maps but now I'm finding out the these areas are under claim.

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grumpie,

I hear that a lot from people, especially people just getting into prospecting. You will realize as you get out more that their really is a lot of land left...open land in the BLM areas that are available to prospect. Or join a local club or even a club out of your way that you may be interested in...Its the best way to enjoy the hobby...and meet people who enjoy doing the same thing. Maybe even one will invite you to go on their own personal claims....enjoy the journey.

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023
Briceburg Rec area and Bagby Rec area closest and least troublesome. Gold, platinum group and the ONLY state documented deposits of rhodium are there. If it's black, red, gossum oxide looking nasty stuff that sets off that GB2 keep it and be surprised but rhodium takes a lot to process as all pt. group metals. John
Anyone go deeper up the Merced?
I spent a lot of time prospecting in the Merced River area above Mariposa in the 70's. There is some really big gold there.

I have friends who still prospect there. One of those friends is Grubstake who knows a little about metal detecting that area. Grubstake has found some pretty gold in that area. Other people, some who post here, have detected good gold around Mariposa too. I can't share any exact locations with you but I can give you three big hints.

But before the hints enjoy the eye candy. Grubstake has graciously allowed me to share some of the beautiful gold found there.
Check out Grubby's gallery - I guarantee you'll be inspired.

Here are your three hints:

1. Look up, look around. Stop defining search areas by where the river is. Learn to see the land as a series of zones of different interacting mineralized areas, not valleys and hills. 60% of the gold in California has never been mined, move on from the easy pickings of the past and ask yourself where that 60% could be hanging out.

2. Research all you can before you go to a potential site. Study the geology. Pay particular attention to faults, alteration zones and complex mineralization. Study the mining history to understand what minerals and geologic structures are associated with gold in that particular area. Study the access routes, claims and land ownership status. Know as much as you can before you go so your prospecting time will be productive.

3. When you are on the ground learn to recognize the signs of mineralization both large scale and the actual minerals and rocks on the ground. Learn to recognize the signs and look of faults, dikes and gossans when you are in the field. You can't beep every inch of the ground to find the productive areas, narrow your search to areas with the right "look" before you expand your prospecting to less obvious areas.

Maybe some other members here will share some of their finds from the area too? ? nudge^ nudge^ wink* wink* :occasion14:

Heavy Pans
Anyone ever go deeper up the Merced by:

1) Tuolumne River meets Merced (Pigeon Gulch)
2) Indian & Crane Creek meets Merced

I wonder are we even allowed to prospect in these areas? I'm a total newbie to all this so I'm learning something everyday and I have tonnes of free time on my hands so I spend all my free time reading on TreasureNet to learn from all of you here. Such an amazing community here.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread