Numbered Tag

Ground Control

Apr 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was detecting around my yard again today before it got dark and pulled this out of the ground next to my driveway. It came up as a 76 on my AT Pro and appears to be copper, which I noticed by a slight nick on one of the edges. I can only speculate as to what it is. A friend suggested a hotel/railroad baggage tag, but I also saw cow tag's and miner's id tags that looked similar, but most were made of brass. The property that my house sits on was formerly farmland, so it's possible it could have had cows on it at one point, but I'm not sure.

Tag 1.jpg

Tag 2.jpg

Tag 3.jpg

Upvote 5

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think if it were a RR Baggage tag, it would only have one set of numbers on it and would have the RR name on it also. I would go with livestock tag first, but if there was history of a miner living in your home or the area, it could also be a miners tag. That was their time card, and I.D. card. When they entered a mine they would put it on the board to show they were working in there, in case of emergency.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one almost exactly like that. I was told it maybe a miners tag BUT now that you say cow tag, that's what is probably is since the area I found it in was a school built in the 50s and a farm before that.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t_r.gif
t_o.gif
s.gif
t_l.gif

..: NICE FIND Ground Control :..