Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found
IMG_9442.jpg
in SE Tennessee; too bad it was in two pieces.

Upvote 7
I also think it is natural stone.

Sorry but it's not a Nutting stone...imo
Sorry but it is a nutting stone, per an archeologist with Univ. of Tennessee and just like the one they have on display at McClung Museum of Natural History on the campus of University of Tennessee in Knoxville.
IMG_7594.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry but it is a nutting stone, per an archeologist with Univ. of Tennessee and just like the one they have on display at McClung Museum of Natural History on the campus of University of Tennessee in Knoxville.

There are sub-disciplines of archeology, being an archeologist doesn't mean they are an expert on indian artifacts.

I have found many of these under rock shelters in Tennessee. I too believe it is a nutting stone! Good find!

Omar’s are only found up north. So we know it’s not one. These types of stones were used for many different things and one can only guess what they were used for. I have found some but they don’t display many divots usually just one or two. Good find

In Hocking County, OH there are these types of stones with the pockmarks everywhere. Some cover areas larger than a garage floor. All are natural. While yours may be man made those surely were not and thus my reasoning. There is no polish in your stones divots to indicate wear use. They have the same patina as the rest of the stone.

Holes look identical, no wear or signs of usage at all and as Newnan Man pointed out the patina is the same over entire rock, patina is same at bottom of divits as surface of rock.

add to that that most "nutting stones" may have started out live as natural, Just like many pestles too... I mean why "make" what you can "modify" a bit

Let me clear this up for you.
For many years, such stones as you have WERE identified as " nutting stones ." That picture is probably an old I.D. in the museum, or from someone not informed.
Omarolluks , or just Omars, are what these natural stones really are. They are cool to find & keep, but not genuine artifacts. Look at this link ;

True but you need to realize he found it in Tennessee. If you search Omar’s they are found in the north not the south. It could be a fossil of some kind that I don’t much about.

True but you need to realize he found it in Tennessee. If you search Omar’s they are found in the north not the south. It could be a fossil of some kind that I don’t much about.
Yes, those are mostly found in the North . How it got to Tn., or if they were naturally made in Tn., is a question. As an example, you can find Native American points in areas thousands of miles away from where the materiel to make them is naturally located.
There are similarly marked stones made by a type of boring clam called " Pholads." Look up " Pholad borings." But, I still say it is an Omar.

Yes, those are mostly found in the North . How it got to Tn., or if they were naturally made in Tn., is a question. As an example, you can find Native American points in areas thousands of miles away from where the materiel to make them is naturally located.
There are similarly marked stones made by a type of boring clam called " Pholads." Look up " Pholad borings." But, I still say it is an Omar.
And the discussion continues. So if it a Omar and was found in Tennessee it would of had to be carried in by man to the location it was found. And therefore it would be considered a Portable which would be a Artifact. I rest my case

And the discussion continues. So if it a Omar and was found in Tennessee it would of had to be carried in by man to the location it was found. And therefore it would be considered a Portable which would be a Artifact. I rest my case
Could have been moved by glaciers too. There are no signs on the rock of being worked and the patina is the same at bottom of divit as top of rock, if worked it should be different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back