O Barber !

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Met up with Park Pirate this morning at the same area of the park where he dug the three old nickels recently. Not much luck at first with only a single wheatie after the first hour or so. Got a signal that sounded like iron but about 2 inches off to the side I got a nice high tone that would repeat from both directions only if I swung the coil in a 3 or 4 inch arc. I thought this could be a silver coin close to a chunk of iron. For once I was right and from about 8 inches down I dug a nice 1901-O Barber dime. When I went back over the target area, nothing but low tone iron signals remained. I know Tony and I walked over that dime dozens of times in the past. I must have hit it just from the right angle to catch the silver. Before calling it quits I also dug a 1927 Buffalo nickel and a nice 5 cent trade token for Mike's Log Cabin Bar & Restaurant in Albany, probably from the 30's -40's. My old nickel count for the year is up to 35. Going to have a hard time to equal last year's total of 90 !

Attachments

• 1901barberclump.jpg
    1901barberclump.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 114
  • 1909barber.jpg
    1909barber.jpg
    900 KB · Views: 150
  • 1901barberreverse.jpg
    1901barberreverse.jpg
    691 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 18
Looks like an 1909 not 01

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Congratulations

You're right Sproatz. I posted the wrong photo !!!

Last edited:
Posted wrong obverse photo...Here is the correct one !

Put up a photo of a previously dug 1909 Barber dime. Here is the correct photo of today's 1901-O.

Attachments

• 1901barber.jpg
    1901barber.jpg
    880.6 KB · Views: 132
Alsome

Nice save on that barber!!

:hello2: :icon_thumleft: Both coins you've shown here are beauties - congrats on such a good year - and it aint over til it's over! :hello2: :icon_thumright:

I dug my first Barber - a Lady Liberty V nickel yesterday at beach - mine is very worn from years of use, but then so am I, lol.:laughing7: My oldest coin so far! Andi

Good job on the barber!

Congratulations on the silver dime find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back