Oak Island the Strange, the Bizarre, and Maybe the "Truth!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
he has found a lot of cool stuff around the world,oak island is just a job.
brad

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking peoples hard earned money digging up woooooooooood, rooooooocks and muuuuuuuuud for 8 years. Pitiful pulling the wool over good peoples eyes and taking their money.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's not taking your or my money., I'm not paying him personally. Sure I watch the show so in a round about way I'm helping the show to pay him but even with you and or others on here not watching the show it is still on tv and he is still getting paid.. If it wasn't for the fact they he and everyone on OI are searching for what would be thousands or millions of dollars worth of treasure what he has found would be considered pretty significant.. and most everyone on here would like to have found some of the stuff he has found.. How many of the true searchers on here wouldn't love to have a tv show that pays them to metal detect? Now keep in mind how boring that would be to watch unless you play it up like he does.. No one wants to watch anyone wonder around in the woods or on the beach for 20 minutes and not find anything and there be no dialog..Tune in next week as we metal detect along I-40 west.. Yeah that's going to go over big...

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... If it wasn't for the fact they he and everyone on OI are searching for what would be thousands or millions of dollars worth of treasure ...
There exists NO conclusive "fact", proof, or evidence that "thousands or millions of dollars worth of treasure" is or was hidden on Oak Island outside of the "boys" original story, which led to additional speculation and taller tales concerning who and what was buried there.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There exists NO conclusive "fact", proof, or evidence that "thousands or millions of dollars worth of treasure" is or was hidden on Oak Island outside of the "boys" original story, which led to additional speculation and taller tales concerning who and what was buried there.
Now now my friend you are CLEARLY forgetting that they found CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE of a truck load of silver in the last season...

57a822f86371c9ed7f4d17ae4ec3abdd.jpg

It will only take them one more season to dig it up and then think of all the people who will be saying...

b6dde7df8e3b722df4a9d135a6185321.jpg

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he has found a lot of cool stuff around the world,oak island is just a job.
brad
Yep... He seems to have a life doing what he enjoys doing. Good for him. Wish him the best on his new venture...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Now now my friend you are CLEARLY forgetting that they found CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE of a truck load of silver in the last season...
It will only take them one more season to dig it up and then think of all the people who will be saying...
Waiting ....as usual for the actual recovery that ALWAYS will occur during the next season and is quickly forgotten.
"NUFF SAID! :thumbsup:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's true and I didn't say there was in my post there. Just that that is what they are actually looking for regardless of if there is or was treasure there. He is actually finding treasure it's just not worth thousands or millions.. Just trying to say that without that in your mind he has found some nice stuff and he's getting paid to do it...

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Told You So...Oh... Put Me On That List!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Told you so.jpg
    Told you so.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 118

Robert_Dazzler

Apr 4, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guess who's back after the soft snowflake mods gave me a vacataion! (show me on the screen where the bad words hurt you!!) :laughing7:

He said that is what they are searching for, not what has been proven to be there is but yet undiscovered. Way to spin things to try make yourself seem superior. I see you still haven't found a new catchphrase yet huh?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I had nothing to do with your "vacation" if that is what you are implying, nor do I "spin things" to "seem superior".
It seems that your eye, not I, that offends thee, my friend.
As for the "catchphrase"...
'NUFF SAID! :wink:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
WHY OAK ISLAND?

Seems like the story is constantly changing adding more proof of the fiction these folks present...,,

What is never addressed is "WHY" Oak Island and not another of the many islands in Mahone Bay, or why Mahone Bay?
What was the attraction that allegedly brought Capt Kidd, Henry Sinclair, Templars, rogue Royal Naval officers, or whomever else one can conceive to choose Oak Island as "the ideal place" to hide fantastic amounts of treasure?
The pretzel logic of Oak Island has always been that there is a hole, treasure must have been put in that hole by someone who needed to hide treasure- then its all speculative fill in the blanks of who and what without any basis in fact.

OP
OP
Robot

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
"Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the treasure hunter shall meet"

attachment.php

Op-Ed: The Hoax of Oak Island

?A nail?? ?In a board?? ?That is 200 years old?? ?Could this be the proof the brothers were looking for??
?A metal object?? ?Found in a place where no metal objects should be found?? ?Could this be the proof the brothers were looking for??
Clotworthy uses the same tone and tenor of any of the other series he narrates for the History Channel, like Ancient Aliens, none of which by the way have anything to do with actual history.
The ?something? is then sent off to be analyzed by the ?experts? who make us wait until the next episode to only let us down again that the ?something? is old, made of wood or metal, and amazingly enough shouldn?t have been found where it was found.? What a surprise!
Since 2014, two brothers, Rick and Marty Lagina, have been digging trenches, moving rocks, draining swamps, and drilling holes all over a small island that they own off the coast Nova Scotia.

Their digging and drilling efforts have been chronicled in a series on the ?History? channel?s ?Curse of Oak Island.?
For some background:
On a small island off the coast of Nova Scotia, a legend of treasure has led a centuries-long search for whatever may or may not be buried there. It might be pirate booty. Or it might be some unknown European royal treasure, or it might be Spanish gold from South America, or it might be some kind of religious artifacts dropped off by the Knights Templar.
Or maybe it is something else.
Or maybe it is nothing at all.
The complex underwater caves may be naturally formed from millions of years of water erosion of soft gypsum, or they might have been dug by Vikings or Templars, or pirates. Anyway, these two brothers bought the island, hired a bunch of like-minded, similarly convinced treasure hunters, and have been running back and forth all over the place digging holes, using metal detectors, all the while convinced something is there.
Because the island has been inhabited on and off both by indigenous and immigrants for centuries, the chances of finding something is great. Be it a wall, a road, a cave, a nail a Happy Meal Toy?whatever.
Each episode follows the exact same formula:
One of the treasure hunters, all of whom look exactly like front row ticket holders of a MAGA rally, finds something. The ?Something? is usually pulled up from one of the zillion holes they have drilled all over the island, Or it might be from a pile of mud that the ?metal detector expert with an Australian accent declared ?looks very old? while examining a something that has been covered in mud for 200 years. Yeah, it all looks old. It has been covered in muck for along time. The something could be a nail. Or a board. Maybe a piece of wood. A shape of a shipwreck in a swamp. A stone wall. A Village People CD cover. It doesn?t matter. Anything sets them off.
Narrator Robert Clotwothy, the voice of Ancient Aliens (can you see where this is going?) then breathlessly asks a series of ridiculous questions: ?A wall? Next to a path? Near where another wall was found? What could it mean? Is this the proof that the brothers were looking for? Will this lead to the treasure??

This constant ?something? is known to scriptwriters as a MacGuffin, a plot device that motivates the Oak Islanders to move forward, but in reality is unimportant itself. Metal, wood, wall, pathway, piece of cloth. It doesn?t matter. Anything they find causes them to have simultaneous Oakgasms and the cameras to zoom in on their eyes as they look knowingly at each other. This is it. This is the one.
Until next week, when a new ?this is it? is found.
By the end of each and every season however, nothing of consequence is found. No gold. No treasure chest. No Ark of the Covenant. No Knights Templar temples.
More holes dug. More MacGuffins found in the search for the big MacGuffin.

At the end of the day, the Lagina?s have exactly the same amount of things they had at the beginning of the season, which is to say, not much. Of course, the brothers don?t care. The History Channel and its advertisers, is paying the bills.
The Curse of Oak Island, inexplicably, after seven seasons continues to be one of the highest rated shows on cable. Let that sink in: After SEVEN SEASONS of not finding anything, they are still one of the highest rated shows on cable TV.
Never mind that the brothers almost completely ignore the laws and rules of archaeological investigation. They happily back-hoe their way through hole after swamp, after hole. They have spawned two sequels and have made millions, all on the promise of ?next week is it.?
Oak Island is not a singular phenomenon. There are dozens of similar shows that start off with the promise of finding the MacGuffin, only to lead viewers on a wild goose chase to Nothingville. Aliens. Bigfoot. Extraterrestrial spacecraft at an Air Force test facility in the Nevada desert. Government conspiracies. Gold.
All of these shows are directly targeted to a similar demographic: White male middle aged men, just like the Lagina brothers.
Why?
Because these men are the same men that easily believe conspiracy theories. It is not a large leap to jump from believing there is a vast conspiracy to cover up the existence of Bigfoot to believe the conspiracy that the media is telling you lies and that Joe Biden lost the election.
Oak Island and it?s like are merely the gateway drugs to the larger, more serious conspiracies.

I doubt if the viewers of shows like Oak Island are very good at vetting information and looking critically at issues. It is easy to believe information that APPEARS to be correct even though it is not.
And that says a lot about how we as a society educate our children on critical thinking skills.
Perhaps that is the true curse of Oak Island.
Author: Tim Holt
Holt is an educator and writer, with over 33 years experience in education and opines on education-related topics here and on his own award-winning blog: HoltThink. He values your feedback.

Op-Ed: Critical review of Tim Holt?s Op-Ed, ?The Hoax of Oak Island?

He states, that the treasure hunters ?look exactly like front row ticket holders of a MAGA rally?. I guess he defined them that way because they are white, middle-aged males wearing baseball caps and work shirts. He further states that the show and others shows similar to it, are directly targeted to those same white, middle-aged males. He says that these are ?the same men that easily believe conspiracy theories? and are not ?very good at vetting information and looking critically at issue?.
So, apparently Mr. Holt can judge people?s critical thinking skills and intelligence by the race, age, gender and appearance. Let?s do a quick analysis of the step-by-step methodology he uses to demean his targets. First, he equates the cast members to MAGA rally attendees. This is a clear attempt to make them appear reprehensible, something less than Mr. Holt, at the very least. Next, he lets you
know who those reprehensible people are?white, middle-aged males, possibly politically conservative. Finally, for his coup de gras, he lets you know that not only are these white, middle-aged males reprehensible, but they are not very intelligent either?they cannot think critically.

To illustrate Mr. Holt?s bigotry, let?s change the age, race, sex, and appearance of his targets. Would his statements be acceptable? Of course not. But he seems to think that portraying white, middle-aged males as conspiracy theorist believing, unintelligent creatures is fair. Attempting to imply that his targets are conservative white males (via the MAGA reference) isn?t a worthy defense. It only adds a political aspect to his bigotry.
My observation has been that believing in conspiracies, myths, misrepresentations, and mistruths is prevalent in any individual, regardless of race, age, sex, political affiliation, who is self-confined to the secure comfort of friends and colleagues with the same beliefs. It is not the sole realm of white, middle-aged males.
I doubt Mr. Holt is even aware of his own bigotry. Typically, bigots are too smugly secure their own sense of moral and intellectual superiority to waste time with introspection. Perhaps, he needs to step out of his echo chamber, engage others who don?t share his beliefs, and use those critical thinking skills he says are lacking in others.
Author: B. Brown | Beaver, Pa.

Attachments

• Lagina Brothers.jpg
    Lagina Brothers.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 127

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because it has name recognition from the baseless legends and you can get filming permits there?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still NO answer to the WHY Oak Island would be chosen as the perfect treasure depository?
Its a code... Oak Island in "The OLD tongue" was " doron lona " and this was decoded by the Grand Master of the Knights templar at the time using a cipher hidden in Bacon texts (Later claimed written by Shakespeare) as " sacred island " or possibly " blessed isle " so when they had to bury all that looted treasure they could not spend it made perfect sense to bury it there...

The answer is simple if you know the code....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of the treasure aspect of Oak Island why did all of those that came before "The Story" come to THAT Island to do their boat repairs, mine salt, military this that or the other, do their fishing, etc etc... They had to sail right past lots of other islands to get there, and with it being that close to mainland, what not just go to there??

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of the treasure aspect of Oak Island why did all of those that came before "The Story" come to THAT Island to do their boat repairs, mine salt, military this that or the other, do their fishing, etc etc... They had to sail right past lots of other islands to get there, and with it being that close to mainland, what not just go to there??
Good question.. My guess would be either/and

1.Easy ship access
2.Easy to control and keep eyes on slaves
3.Cheap/free to buy/rent island
4.Island being subject to different/easier laws
5.Lots of the particular resources they were looking for
6.Easy to keep locals away from the operations/equipment.

Or some combination of the above..

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...and to think it ALL started in 1701 with Capt. William Kidd (or one of his crew) offering to tell his accusers of his "treasure on Oak Island" in exchange for his life...they didn't bite, and hung him anyway - twice (the first rope broke) - then placed his body in a cage on display to rot.

85 years later, a trio of young men, McGinnis, Smith, and Vaughn find a depression in the ground on Oak Island, and convinced it hid Kidd's treasure, began to dig...

...and the rest is (MADE-UP) history...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread