What's new

Obsidian broken point

Mintberrycrunch

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2016
Messages
487
Reaction score
564
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
Detector(s) used
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traded my buddy this fox skull I found for this broken point. It was found in Oregon wondering if anyone knows what kind or age? He thinks it's a broken Clovis or something crazy old I don't know enough to tell him anything about it. Any help is much appreciated thanks
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    133.6 KB · Views: 143
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    69.8 KB · Views: 138
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    85 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0
I don't know about Clovis but it could be a broken knife.
I always use my cell phone so I could Be missing something. But In the second pic the break exposes the profile of the point and it doesn't look Symmetrical. The right side looks more reworked than the left as well.
 
Yea I don't think Clovis either it looks too wide in the center and without any fluting visible and the base missing I would say not a Clovis but still a nice find
 
True, there is no way to make an ID of the tip without the diagnostic end (base) There was too many types from paleo to present that used Obsidian. You could say its a cascade knife or a haskett. There is just no way to tell. But the fox skull I can say is modern. and unaltered by man other than hair and tissue removal.
 
Oregon is so littered with obsidian that it becomes truly boring. Your piece is (guessing from the size, shape and area) quite likely a broken Cascade point, (many varieties) and would have looked rounded or similar on the other end...a sort of leaf shape.

Cascade Projectile Point
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom