Obsidian Rock, any collectors?

T

trish76642

Does anyone know anything about Obsidian Rock? I know it is caused from Lava flow and the Indians used to use it for trade, and it was called "Apache Tears" this one weighs about 15 lbs. 7"x9" in diameter. My brother found it while doing dirt work on a job sight at about 6 feet in the ground. Just wondering if anyone would know what it is worth?
The yellow you see is just a reflection from the light.

Attachments

• Obsidian.jpg
    Obsidian.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 793
  • ObsidianKenny.JPG
    ObsidianKenny.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 685
OP
OP
T

trish76642

Sorry its so big....for the life of me i cant figure this 'picture' size thing out!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trish76642

MEinWV said:
There are a few varieties of obsidian, some have colors mixed with black. A quick check listed different types from $2.50 to $4.00/lb.
Wow... Thanks for the info MeinWV!

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I don't know anything about the value of the obsidian but it is beautiful. Our treasure club went out to Obsidian Butte last year and got quite a lot of it then had a flint knapper come in and demonstrate how to make arrowheads and such. Les also put some small pieces of Apache Tears in the tumbler and they came out beautiful. Very nice chunk you got there! Gonna make some arrowheads? :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trish76642

Cynangyl said:
I don't know anything about the value of the obsidian but it is beautiful. Our treasure club went out to Obsidian Butte last year and got quite a lot of it then had a flint knapper come in and demonstrate how to make arrowheads and such. Les also put some small pieces of Apache Tears in the tumbler and they came out beautiful. Very nice chunk you got there! Gonna make some arrowheads? :D
You know what Cyn? My brother loves to hunt arrow heads, im telling you he could dig his way to china trying to find one, Funny that you mentioned the Flint Knapper demonstrating how to make them, my brother loves them so much he even tried to make them himself, and he says "i cant figure it out to save my life!" (LOL) He litterally has racked his brain trying to figure out how the Indians made them! How did he demonstrate how to make them Cyn? I need to know so i can tell my brother and maybe he will rest! LOL
Thanks girly!

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol he gonna be back from China anytime soon? The knapper had a piece of leather that he wrapped around the obsidian kinda like a potholder to keep from cutting himself and he used a piece of deer antler to tap at it breaking off little pieces at a time until he had it shaped....he made it look easy of course. ;) Funny how artists can do that eh? I wonder if you could find a youtube that showed it for your brother?? seems they have videos of everything there! lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trish76642

Cynangyl said:
lol he gonna be back from China anytime soon? The knapper had a piece of leather that he wrapped around the obsidian kinda like a potholder to keep from cutting himself and he used a piece of deer antler to tap at it breaking off little pieces at a time until he had it shaped....he made it look easy of course. ;) Funny how artists can do that eh? I wonder if you could find a youtube that showed it for your brother?? seems they have videos of everything there! lol
LOL...he used a deer antler? WTH? Now who woulda thought it? LMAO.....bet little brother woulda never come up with that one!

Dont know about the video thing, but i'll go take a look, think i'll type in Flint Knapper and see what i come up with..thanks girlfriend! :-*

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
yep he did...and he just chipped away and was visiting and next thing you know he handed us an arrowhead! :o Good luck finding a video for him...surely there are books and videos someplace that he can learn from if he is that determined. I will check at work and see if there is anything about knapping in the books. Tell him not to give up!!

Upvote 0

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
That's a beauty, Tri$h! I saw a show on TV several years ago where a Flint Knapper showed how to make them. He did it pretty much the way Cyna, said. It was amazing to me how much of the material was NOT used after making the points!
If your brother figures out how to make one please share it with us.

HH,
Pepper

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trish76642

Pepper2004 said:
That's a beauty, Tri$h! I saw a show on TV several years ago where a Flint Knapper showed how to make them. He did it pretty much the way Cyna, said. It was amazing to me how much of the material was NOT used after making the points!

HH,
Pepper
Oh i will Pepper, right now he's still in shock that they used Deer Antlers!....lol

Cyn? I gave him the info you gave me, he was really amazed! Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi y'all ! There should be plenty of info out there on the net on how to do this.A good buddy of mine recently learned how to Knapp flint etc.He's pretty good at it.The antler was used as a preasure flaking tool.You press it against the material and twist.I do most of my napping in the afternoons myself. ;) :D

Upvote 0

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tri$h said:
kieser sousa said:
Hi y'all ! There should be plenty of info out there on the net on how to do this.A good buddy of mine recently learned how to Knapp flint etc.He's pretty good at it.The antler was used as a preasure flaking tool.You press it against the material and twist.I do most of my napping in the afternoons myself. ;) :D
Hahaaaaaa thanks Kieser! I've read up on it since Cyn gave me the info, really interesting! Had no idea people still do that sort of thing! May try my hand at it, just so i can show little brother how its done! ;)

I say go for it ! Show em how it's done.It's really a very cool artform.If you do give it a shot I would love to see whatcha come up with.

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Tri$h said:
Pepper2004 said:

HH,
Pepper
Oh i will Pepper, right now he's still in shock that they used Deer Antlers!....lol

Cyn? I gave him the info you gave me, he was really amazed! Thanks so much!

Awesome....don't let him forget he owes us pictures when he figures it out! lol

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Tri$h said:
kieser sousa said:
Hahaaaaaa thanks Kieser! I've read up on it since Cyn gave me the info, really interesting! Had no idea people still do that sort of thing! May try my hand at it, just so i can show little brother how its done! ;)

I use a sharpened length of hard copper wire affixed to a stick about 18" long. I have only made points from the bottoms of beer bottles so far. It is good practice before trying it out on the real thing.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it's Gold Sheen Obsidian.

Upvote 0

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flint,glass,agate and quartz are some things that can be used.The old black glass works well.I'm thinking blue glass would be cool.

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Tri$h said:
MEinWV said:
Tri$h said:
kieser sousa said:

I use a sharpened length of hard copper wire affixed to a stick about 18" long. I have only made points from the bottoms of beer bottles so far. It is good practice before trying it out on the real thing.

Good luck!
what did you use to make them? Thats a good idea!
Check out; www.geocities.com/knappersanonymous/bottle.html A tutorial for making arrowheads from beer bottle glass.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread